T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the things that people starting a t-shirt company often look for is how to get their custom labels in the neckline of the t-shirts that they will use for their designs.

Does anybody know of any blank t-shirt manufacturers that don't put any labels in the neckline of their tees to make it easier for sewing in custom labels?

Or is it just standard fare to have the company that adds the labels for you also cut out the old label before sewing on your label?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think it's pretty standard... but you could try eBay I guess.

A lot of company's have their own tag in, so you could always try asking how much it is to get your own personal logo on the tag. Dunno how much that would cost, but I guess you'd have to buy in bulk for that.

·
Registered
250 Posts
My partner Chris, he is the real screen printing brains behind the operation, tells me that you indeed to have to buy large quantities to get your own label stitched into the shirt. In the ballpark of 500 to get it down to a reasonable cost per shirt. Until then I have him working on finding any companies that do tagless shirts. I'll keep the board posted if I hear of anything.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Some time ago I was looking for label manufacturers that will make smaller quantities of custom (or customized) labels for a reasonable price. It wasn't easy!

I spoke with people at 2 companies and both said that many people just sew the custom label right over the existing label, since a, identifiable good brand of shirt (like Hanes Beefy, Am App, etc) is actually a good selling point.

Both will send sample packages.

Anyway, the 2 contenders were:
General Label; Miami, FL -- kind of slow and a bit hard to understand, but a range of customizable options, including printed fabric labels with a choice of ink color, sizes and orientation and min. of 75 labels for under $30. Ph 1-800-944-4696. Website is not very practical for buying but to browse: http://www.generallabel.com

General Label are who I went with for cool silver labels with my orange logo, similar to my avatar here. :)

The other close contender was:
Heirloom Woven Labels. Moorestown, NJ
I think they can't fully customize with your own artwork (don't remember) but have nicely woven (not printed) labels, esp ribbon labels in a choice of colors and font styles. I would have chosen their ribon labels for the *outside* -- back of neck, on sleeve, hem, etc. But that wasn't what I really needed. Nice helpful guy though and great prices -- I'm definitely keep his info and samples around. 1-856-722-1618; http://www.heirloomlabels.com

Guess what -- in the end I didn't have time to use the labels at all :-(

jean

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the label info Jean!

I was actually looking for blank t-shirts without labels, not the actual labels themselves.

Many of the requests we've been having have been for the t-shirts without labels (many seem adamant about this), so I was hoping to find a source.

From what I've found, it looks like a lot of companies are tearing out the original label and sewing in the custom label, although I like what your source recommended better: leaving the original label in to let consumers know the t-shirt is of good quality.

I think we've just about figured out a solution though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Rodney...I was just wondering if you are planning on sewing in your own labels, or having a label "screen printed" into the shirts like the new trend in tagless shirts. I wonder which would be more cost effective. Also, if you don't mind sharing your info, let me know if you ever found a high quality tagless shirt....I would be quite grateful to you! I'm very impressed with all the knowledge you are able to share with the folks on here....

Stacie

·
Registered
24 Posts
all of my distributors offer custom lables. Quantity is the deal. there are many sew houses here that will sew my lables in for a nickle a shirt.

American Apparel does not put their's on the neckline, I love the Haynes idea of the transfer lable.

I have worked at places where we needed to remove the Disney and OP label :-O

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hi Stacy, I'll probably end up doing the tag removal from a shirt brand.

I like the pricing of DJ's Labels, so I'll probably use them for the labels themselves and have the screen printer I work with sew the labels in for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Rodney...I don't know if you are checking this thread or not, but I had another question for you. Do you know if there are any implications to cutting out a manufacturer's existing label and replacing it with your own since it is their base product? Does this violate any trademark rules? I'm just wondering in case my line of shirts actually takes off and becomes popular. Then I would consider doing what you are, sewing in my own labels.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Twinge said:
There shouldn't be any legal reason you can't; once you purchase the shirts from them, it is your property to do with as you see fit.

Of course not. Manufactures and their distributors succeed when your label succeeds (because you buy more shirts) We could care less what you do with them after purchase.

- in regards to label removal, just have your blank supplier ship the blanks directly to your screen printer. Your printer should charge more than .08 per piece for tag removal and no more than .40 per piece for a complete relabeling.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I asked a very similar question of my local supplier because they offer relabeling services. I wanted to see if they could just de-tag anything I ordered and then send it to me, but they basically said that while they can remove the label, shipping them without one was illegal. I don't think there's a company that sells blank labeless items for this reason.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello Rodney,

The manufacturer I work for does labeless tees or with you label placed in them. Items can be shipped to the US without labels, I was reading on it it does not have to have a label if you are not planning to sell it to the final consumer.

·
Registered
241 Posts
This is prob. more interesting for the UK based folks. I found a company here that supply shirts without brand labels in, they put the small size label in the neck and a wash instructions tag on the inner seam. This means you can either have your own label put in at point of manufacture, cheaper than having a re-label done and also low'ish quantities. Drawback with these shirts is that they aren't cheap...but they are the best I've found, and I've seen a fair few!
I use a re-labelling company who offer 2 service levels, the 'cut and sew' method for promo. work, the typical cut label out as close as possible and sew new one over neck, personally hate that. The second method is the 'unstitch and replace' where they physically unstitch the neckline, remove the label complete and then insert your label and repair the seam, very professional.
Out of interest, what's the general feeling about neck labels v printed labels? Personally I'm intending neck labels on guys shirts, no label on ladies but printed either inside or on reverse of neckline. I think ladies nowadays don't like a bulky label but like to show the clothing name off, us guys don't seem as fussy I guess!

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I found a company here that supply shirts without brand labels in, they put the small size label in the neck and a wash instructions tag on the inner seam.
Continental Clothing does this as well (they are in Europe and in the US).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts