T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are reg. marks really necessary to put on art work?

i have been interning for this shop in riverside california and the guy that runs the shop doesnt use reg marks. all of his work comes out perfect. so do i need them on art work or no?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think its always best to print the films with reg marks on them.. Some printers use them, some dont. Some register their screens with the films. It doesnt take that long to tape off registration marks on the screens after registering a job. My opinion, as good as anyone is as a printer, registration marks are never a bad thing. Some prints, registration is crucial. Index seps for example, where each square dot buts up next to the others instead of overlapping like traditional half toning, is a type of print i would dread if i didnt have reg marks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been having problems with my registration. Since I do not have a printer hooked up to my computer that has illustrator, I have been saving my files as pdfs to print them on a different computer. What I have been doing is editing the live color in my image so that i target the one im going to print and make it black, while making all the others white. (For example with an image with red,yellow and black, if i wanted to print the transparency for the black screen i would edit the livepaint colors so that the red and yellow are changed to white and i am left with only the black color). I then save each color as a pdf and print them on a different computer. However once I try to line up my work before printing, the artwork is off by fractions of a centimeter and I am left with lots of white space in my art, making it look less than perfect. I am doing very complicated prints and I am wondering if my registration problem is because I am saving my files as pdfs instead of printing them straight from illustrator.
Any advice?
thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been having problems with my registration. Since I do not have a printer hooked up to my computer that has illustrator, I have been saving my files as pdfs to print them on a different computer. What I have been doing is editing the live color in my image so that i target the one im going to print and make it black, while making all the others white. (For example with an image with red,yellow and black, if i wanted to print the transparency for the black screen i would edit the livepaint colors so that the red and yellow are changed to white and i am left with only the black color). I then save each color as a pdf and print them on a different computer. However once I try to line up my work before printing, the artwork is off by fractions of a centimeter and I am left with lots of white space in my art, making it look less than perfect. I am doing very complicated prints and I am wondering if my registration problem is because I am saving my files as pdfs instead of printing them straight from illustrator.
Any advice?
thanks!

what u should do is save it in ai form and take it to a shop that can print it for u they can charge u per page but its easier than what u are doing now.. make sure you separate your color or see if they can do it for you. hope that helps

1 - 8 of 8 Posts