T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to Matt from Westix Equipment and Supply about how a lot of my aluminum frames are warped and don't lay flat. He told me how to fix them and I thought I'd share it here:

1. Take your warped screen and lay it down on the glass of your exposure unit or a table that is truly flat, noticing which corners (two opposite corners) stick up a little bit and allow it to the wobble on a flat surface.
  2. Hold the screen by the corners selected in the above step and lean it against a table or the wall or something sturdy, putting one of the good corners against the ground and the other opposite good corner against the wall or the table or what-have-you, at an angle.
  3. Press the warped corners. I tried pressing hard, but actually what seemed to work was little shoves of good force. Do a shove, lay it on the exposure unit, does it lay flat? If it didn't lay flat, I did another shove of the warped corners, until it did lay flat.
What do you guys think? I tried it on the screens I had to use for recent jobs and it worked well.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Yeah, they are hollow. I still just can't imagine bending my frames (probably about 2.5"). I've seen some that are like 1" so I wondered if you were using those.

Well, good to know - if ever relevant I'll try putting some muscle into it and seeing what happens :)

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I just pulled the specs... the main t-shirt frames are 490mm x 640mm with a 40 x 40mm frame, and 1.6mm aluminium thickness.

That translates to roughly 20x25" and 1 3/5th" frame thickness... so I was just waaay off on the frame thickness (assuming the actual frames are the same as the manufacturer's spec... I know they vary a little, but they're probably close).

...although they only give one measurement and they do both wood and aluminium screens, which aren't the same size. If I'm feeling bored tomorrow I might give them a measure ;)

Regardless, 1.6mm isn't thick, and bending them worked for you, so it's a useful tip.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I've decided to switch to Aluminum from wood. I've been doing a bunch of experimentation burning and reclaiming frames and some of the wood ones get more warped with each pass. One of the wooded frames I have even came badly warped straight from the manufacturer.

It would stand to reason that if the Aluminum ones got warped they'd be a lot easier to straighten than wood also. I would think that laying it on a flat wooded workbench and C-clamping the ends down real tight would help straighten it.

I only have a simple logos table top press, but when I buy something big I'm leaning towards the Lawson presses. They clamp onto the frame on the sides. Two on each side. That would go a long way towards straightening out your frame for you in the press. I've played with their HD-Max presses.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts