T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am suffering from World Cup Fever. It usually lasts around a month with the common symptons being lack of sleep, chanting country names when you do sleep, seeing white cirular dots in front of your eyes, hearing problems (i.e. not hearing ANYTHING when a game is on), and extreme mood swings for 90 minutes at a time.

Sound familiar?

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
The last decent football cups I watched were Euro '96 and World Cup '98... the coverage here tends to be terrible (it was good for those, but a different channel won the rights subsequently), so I stopped bothering after that. It's probably improved this year since Australia made it to the semis for the first time in thirty odd years.

It was nice to hear about our improbable win against Japan (apparently the first time we ever scored a goal in a World Cup match :D - and yet "No other team has scored three goals in the last seven minutes in World Cup history" - go figure), and I believe it's only a couple of days to go before we get our butts handed to us by Brazil.

Maybe if I find the time I should watch (not that match necessarily, but one with some competition in it).

How are The Netherlands doing this year? I loved watching them in Euro '96... was very disappointed when they didn't make it to World Cup '02.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I got to see Australia come back and defeat Japan...Usa go down and The Swedes finally score and advance to round 2. Wish I had more time to pick and choose matches but I just get to see whats on when there is free time.

·
Registered
140 Posts
We lucked out this year. We get the games at 9a, 11a and 2pm...

Unfortunately non of my countries made it (Canada, Cameroon). Normally i'd go for France but considering they haven't scored since World Cup 1998...i'll probably just continue being a teamless spectator.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Rodney said:
Is the world cup like where they play soccer or something?

:ducks:

Just kidding guys...totally kidding. Go USA! :)
Yeah....thats why they call it the world cup...not the super bowl...or even dumber, the world series{ what the F} or the NBA Championship....where is everyone else? Yeah I know you were funning but thats the freakin story and I am a silly Texas boy born and bred right here!!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Guys,
I have to say that one of the many things I LOVE about the world cup is that there are hundreds of millions of people all over the world watching (or listening to) the same game - it doesn't matter whether you are watching it on a 60" TV in a sports bar, in a tent in the desert listening on a transistor radio, in a town square in Europe or on the one borrowed TV in your third-world village .... you are all feeling the same excitement and experiencing it together. How cool is that?
Some great matches coming - can't wait!
Did anyone see Germany v Poland? What an amazing match! The Polish goalie was incredible!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Continental said:
Hey Guys,
I have to say that one of the many things I LOVE about the world cup is that there are hundreds of millions of people all over the world watching (or listening to) the same game - it doesn't matter whether you are watching it on a 60" TV in a sports bar, in a tent in the desert listening on a transistor radio, in a town square in Europe or on the one borrowed TV in your third-world village .... you are all feeling the same excitement and experiencing it together. How cool is that?
Some great matches coming - can't wait!
Did anyone see Germany v Poland? What an amazing match! The Polish goalie was incredible!
That match was amazing. The goalie kept out some decent attempts. You could feel the frustration building on the part of the Germans. I wanted the Polish to win. I'm always rooting for the little guy.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
monkeylantern said:
DON'T MENTION THE WORLD CUP!

Last night was a travesty....
Which game was this? (I still haven't really been following it)

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Solmu said:
Which game was this? (I still haven't really been following it)
Australia dominated Italy for the entire game. Italy was down to 10 men. There were 3 minutes injury time.

It was 0-0

At 92.58, Italy was awarded a penalty kick for a non-infringing tackle, 10 feet from goal. And they scored.

So a), they were awarded an illegal kick, not even close to infringing, which won them the game.
b) the winning goal was scored at 93.45, 45 seconds after full time.
c) Australia is now out.

BOO! BOO!

England still in though :)

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
That's... kind of depressing. Maybe it's for the best I didn't watch :confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
It wasn't a good way to lose, but I wouldn't say we dominated the game. We had 60% possession, but Italy had more shots at goal, even with only 10 players for the last 30 minutes. They're defence was pretty solid, and we didn't score, is pretty much what it comes down to.

Great effort by the team and coach to get to the second round though, and I'm sure it won't be 32 years between drinks again.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I tackled an Italion player in the box in the last five seconds of injury time during the world cup and never touched the ball...gave them a penalty kick and lost the game we were dominating...and all I got was this lousy t-shirt!!!!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Australia blew the game. They had an extra man for almost the entire second half and seemed to be playing for a draw, for whatever reason. The penalty was a joke. The defender went to ground making no contact, the the striker walks over him and falls. This world cup has the worst referees ever. The only consolation for all good soccer loving fans is, BRAZIl will win it. Cheers

·
Registered
457 Posts
Australia blew the game. They had an extra man for almost the entire second half and seemed to be playing for a draw, for whatever reason.
aokusman, I don't know how you come to that conclusion about playing for a draw. That Aussie team was doing its level best to score. They attacked time and again, and had possession for most of the game. The fact that they couldn't break through for a goal was due to the brilliant Italian defending. They are renowned as the best defenders in world soccer, and they demonstrated emphatically that this is a justified reputation. Also, the Australians had their most dangerous scorer, Harry Kewl, out. They just lacked the potency to penetrate the Italian defence, but it was nothing to do with playing safe or going for a draw. That is alien thinking for that team.

Agree about that ridiculous penalty, and the appalling refereeing throughout. FIFA needs a good kick in the arse.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts