T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello lovely people - Johnny here in the UK. I'm about to start screen printing again after many years away. I current use HTV and heat press (DON'T HATE ME!!!!) but you'll be pleased to know am making the move over.

I need to start small (literally as I don't have the space for a floor standing bit of kit at the moment) and be able to do a few colours. I've seen this kit on art 2 silkscreen and wondered if anyone was familiar with it?

It has micro reg which is a must for me - but at that price I'm not sure how much faith I can have in it holding registration and generally being decent quality.

Also as a whole - how realistic is it to use a multi colour table top press to do medium(ish) runs (20 t's) of multi colours without loosing my mind and wanting to burn the shed down with frutration?

And suggestions welcome of other presses/kits/carousels

Cheers friends!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hello lovely people - Johnny here in the UK. I'm about to start screen printing again after many years away. I current use HTV and heat press (DON'T HATE ME!!!!) but you'll be pleased to know am making the move over.

I need to start small (literally as I don't have the space for a floor standing bit of kit at the moment) and be able to do a few colours. I've seen this kit on art 2 silkscreen and wondered if anyone was familiar with it?

It has micro reg which is a must for me - but at that price I'm not sure how much faith I can have in it holding registration and generally being decent quality.

Also as a whole - how realistic is it to use a multi colour table top press to do medium(ish) runs (20 t's) of multi colours without loosing my mind and wanting to burn the shed down with frutration?

And suggestions welcome of other presses/kits/carousels

Cheers friends!!!
We bought something very similar to that when we first started. I did not work out.
But with that particular brand, I do not know.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Not used that model, but it is a generic 'Chinese Cheapy' that are available from plenty of sources.
It will get you in the game for a limited outlay, but is not perfect. Okay for 1 colour prints, or multicolour ones that don't need close registration. If you want to do cmyk process printing, or close 'butt registration' then you will find it hard work.

The springs probably won't take the weight of a larger screen, so your print size will be limited.
One particullar problem with any one station press is that the platen will become very hot, maybe causing ink to set in the screen. The wooden platen wil warp during a long print run.
The exposure lamp isn't much use. Get a 500w halogen with a 3200k bulb.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We bought something very similar to that when we first started. I did not work out.
But with that particular brand, I do not know.
Ah thanks for getting back to me - when you say didn't work out, do you mean it wasn't good enough quality, registration didn't hold etc? Ta!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not used that model, but it is a generic 'Chinese Cheapy' that are available from plenty of sources.
It will get you in the game for a limited outlay, but is not perfect. Okay for 1 colour prints, or multicolour ones that don't need close registration. If you want to do cmyk process printing, or close 'butt registration' then you will find it hard work.

The springs probably won't take the weight of a larger screen, so your print size will be limited.
One particullar problem with any one station press is that the platen will become very hot, maybe causing ink to set in the screen. The wooden platen wil warp during a long print run.
The exposure lamp isn't much use. Get a 500w halogen with a 3200k bulb.
Thanks Pat

It sounds like i'm better off investing in something better - I'll be doing multi colour prints and I want the registration to be sound. A lot of people have mentioned the Riley Hopkins Jnr with micro's, it's just a fait bit above what I was hoping to spend.

Can I ask, why will the platen get hot? Is it from the flash curer or just generally working on it?

I've also seen the Wicked Printing Stuff presses, but wasn't sure of the quality.

Thanks so much for the advice!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ah thanks for getting back to me - when you say didn't work out, do you mean it wasn't good enough quality, registration didn't hold etc? Ta!
Yes. Now the Titan may be different, but the press we got would not hold registration, even hitting the same color a second time was a problem.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Can I ask, why will the platen get hot? Is it from the flash curer or just generally working on it?

I've also seen the Wicked Printing Stuff presses, but wasn't sure of the quality.
The platen will get very warm from flashing, but the problems start if you do a full cure on press.
I don't think the WPS presses are going to be much better, from what I have heard. The press you are looking at isn't much more than £100 on ebay. It is basicallly an 'art school' press for students.

If you are realy on a tight budget., and can't afford a new Hopkins jnr, I recommend you look for a used Custom Carousels 4/1 press. Not made any more, very similar to the Titan but very,very well made. A lot of us in the UK started on them, before the chinese stuff started coming into the country. Not perfect by any means, but you will have a better chance with that than with the Titan.
I printed tens of thousands of shirts on mine before I upgraded.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The platen will get very warm from flashing, but the problems start if you do a full cure on press.
I don't think the WPS presses are going to be much better, from what I have heard. The press you are looking at isn't much more than £100 on ebay. It is basicallly an 'art school' press for students.

If you are realy on a tight budget., and can't afford a new Hopkins jnr, I recommend you look for a used Custom Carousels 4/1 press. Not made any more, very similar to the Titan but ninja merch shop, very well made. A lot of us in the UK started on them, before the chinese stuff started coming into the country. Not perfect by any means, but you will have a better chance with that than with the Titan.
yes you are right about it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

If you are realy on a tight budget., and can't afford a new Hopkins jnr, I recommend you look for a used Custom Carousels 4/1 press. Not made any more, very similar to the Titan but very,very well made. A lot of us in the UK started on them, before the chinese stuff started coming into the country. Not perfect by any means, but you will have a better chance with that than with the Titan.
Ah gotcha - thanks mate. Sadly I can't seem to find any and i'm on a bit of a tight timescale (taking redundancy from work and I need to earn fairly sharpish!).

I've seen the M&R Genesis at Screen Print World and think it could be ideal (sadly no micro registration - but I don't think i'll be doing spot or process printing). Also i'm really tight on space (i'm going to be working in my shed) and I think this should fit (obviously i'll double check before buying). Also it's got aluminum pallets which i think should be OK for curing on???? Any thoughts - I know M&R are a solid brand, but I can't seem to find any reviews on here about it.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Genesis is a new model. Much cheaper than most M&R stuff. Screen print world also have their own brand of press, slightly cheaper.
Aluminium platens are better for curing on, but they still get hot enough to cure the ink in the mesh when you put the screen down.
If you are using a one platen press your best practise is to flash the print to remove the tackiness, and cure at the end of your print run. You can either put the shirt back on the press or put a sheet of heatpress rubber ( or a ceramic floor tile) onto a small table and cure on that.
You can also use a heat press to cure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts