T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, wondering if anyone has tried printing/successfully printed on cotton spandex blends or stretch fabrics. I have bodysuits from American Apparel that are 95% cotton 5% spandex that I was hoping to print on. Last week I tried printing on one of their baby ribbed dog tees and it was a disaster. The fabric was too stretchy and the print separated too easily. If anyone has any tips (even if it's 'Don't Do It') that would be awesome!

· Registered
3 Posts
The Rutland Spandesol Clear is a great product to use when you have a job like this one. You can either add it in with your standard inks to improve stretchability or you can use it as a base and add pigment to it to get the color you desire. Keep in mind though that if you do use it as an additive it may cause some loss in opacity.

Brad S.
IconSPS.com

· Registered
21 Posts
I print on the American Apparel Halters quite frequently (RSA8312)
For smaller images I am able to use my basic white plastisol with no issues (craking / stretching). For larger images I use spandsol as mentioned above. Mine are sold retail for a clothing line and I have yet to get any issues back on them

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can always trust advice from a fellow Travis. The AA bodysuits I'm looking to print on are the same fabric content so that's excellent. In terms of pretreat/settings, are you doing anything differently? Also, are you stretching the garment out to print on it, or letting it lie naturally?

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Paul, thanks for the tips! I went lighter on the pretreat and backed the ink down to 1440x720 and then print came out crisp and doesn't crack when you stretch the garment. Granted it still does expand but obviously that's unavoidable. Definitely a good experiment.

· Registered
167 Posts
Travis, nice! Well I am glad you can maybe do something with them now. It also may be a good idea to heat press them twice, real low pressure on the clamp down. Just so it makes contact. That way you will give it the best chance on dependable washing, that is if you are not doing that already.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.