T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone successfully printed white ink on 50/50?

What brand of garment are you using and what settings are you using to get a sellable product if you have been successful?

If you haven't been successful, what was the outcome of the print and the first wash?

·
Registered
62 Posts
We tried several months ago to do 50/50 light blue sweatshirts. They didn't turn out well at all. The pretreatment actually severely discolored the garment so we didn't even bother to do wash tests. We ended up doing 90/10 sweats which came out much better, some discoloration but not much and seemed to wash fine. Overall, I'd say 50/50 is a no go with white ink and the pretreatment, unless you get maybe a really dark colored garment that won't show the pt scorching.

·
Registered
103 Posts
JeremyC's got it right,

50/50 will never make a good print, it's the whole oil and water thing. It seems the water in the PT mixture does not want to envelope the poly fibers. Again he's right, I can get away with it on a dark garment if I absolutely have to, but it's quite dull in comparison.

My company has found 90/10's as an acceptable replacement for 50/50 jersey's and hoodies etc.

*tip: when I do 90/10's I make my PT solution about 1/2 2 parts PT to 1 part distilled water.

If anyone has figured out a solution/improvement to PT on 50/50's PLEASE SHARE!

·
Registered
18 Posts
We print on Bella girls tees that are 50/50 and the print is decent. We do call the tees "vintage", so the slightly weathered look we can get away with. It has a bit of cloudiness. But a few times through the dryer and it's not as apparent. We haven't had any flakiness.

·
Registered
103 Posts
mikalaka,

you have a tunnel dryer? I feel like that is one thing my company lacks that could push us into far more possibilities. right now we only have 2 ancient 15"x15" heat presses, any time I try to do a large print (as we have an 16"x18" platen) it gets totally funky at the 15" mark I assume it's because of the uneven heating.

what type of tunnel dryer do you have? how large is it? I would like to look into getting one for the company (if I can bend a few ears and crack a VERY tight wallet ;) )

thanks!

/elisha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts