T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of bringing my anajet to a couple of dog shows (they will only be indoor shows at large convention arenas) and printing shirts in my booth. I will start with a few shows within an hour or two of me. One of the main reasons I got the Anajet is it seems to be the most portable machine...
I am just wondering if anyone else has done this and how it worked for them...(I will not be using white ink, just CMYK on white shirts so that makes me think I should be OK)...any thoughts?

· Registered
4,817 Posts
This is the first time I have heard that your warranty is voided if you take it outside your shop. Check out (e) on this page where it says it is "transportable system" - Direct to Garment Printer: AnaJet. At the bottom of the page it also talks about being able to move the printer without setup or calibration. I have heard that the Brother warranty would be voided, but I believe that has changed as well because they are now selling a moving kit. It would be nice to know if this is correct.

I do know of some people that took the printer to do car shows before. You just need to make sure that your environment (i.e. humidity, temperature, dust,...) is controlled - which I would imagine a dog show would be. You will probably need two people to move and you want to make sure that you don't try to put it into a room that has less than a 32" wide door. Otherwise, you will have to tilt the machine... which is not recommended. Might also want to make sure that your heat press is light enough to move around as well. Bring a heavy duty extension cord so you can try to plug the heat press into a different circuit than where you are plugging the printer into it. Definitely use a power strip for your printer and laptop.

Here are some other tips that I used when I did events:
- If you are taking pictures, try to stage the pictures as they lead to better shots. If you can find a location with a good background or bring your own.
- Need at least two people... one to take pictures and one to print / sales. You will also want 1 person to stay around the heat press so no one touches it and gets burned. Do what you can to keep it away from the attendees.
- Bring a lot of extra memory cards so you can switch the card out with another one if someone wanted to look at or get a print made. I think we had around 5 different cards usually.
- If you have a 2nd laptop with a separate monitor, you can run a photo gallery of pictures to help show off your current designs and the pictures you took onsite.
- Create some type of frames and basic template that will allow you to drop the photo in and it would already have the text you want (i.e. the name of the event, name of the breed, 1st place,...) in different layers that you can easily turn on / off.
- We never tried to delete backgrounds for the shirts we printed onsite as it took too long and we could make more money talking to people. We did it for special orders that would be mailed.
- We used the event to find out what people did for a living so we could try to get that business after the event. So we had a book were people could put their name and email address down where we could send them a link to all the pictures we took after the show. It also allowed us to market other things (Christmas / Birthday gifts,...) to them as well.
- If the event gives out free shirts, think about getting plastisol transfers done in advance that allow the attendees to personalize the shirts (1st place, funny sayings,...). Get the ones that can go on to light and dark garments. With a 10 second press, you can make really good money at a low cost really fast and you don't even have to supply the shirts. Gang the transfers up on one sheet and make the majority them so you can use them at multiple events.

The transporting and setting up can be a pain in the beginning, but onsite event productions can be very profitable. Hope this information helps anyone considering doing onsite events.

Mark

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mark
Great advice as usual! Thanks for the input...
But I don't think I am going to photograph any dogs at the show...it would be easier to try and capture lightning than a dog sitting in a nice pose in the middle of a busy dog show. I am just going to sell my designs and print on the spot...thanks again.
I'll speak with you Monday or Tuesday this week, depending on how busy Monday is.
-Vince

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What setting do you all leave your printer set at for auto head cleanings (for those of you who leave the printer on all the time): 4hrs, 8hrs, 12hrs, etc?
And if you do a run of like 20-30 shirts in a row, do you need to do any head cleanings during the run or does it print perfect straight through one after another without any cleaning?
I can do like 12-15 in a row one right after another and then sometimes I see a little banding and need to do a head clean which clears it up usually for another 12-15 shirts.
Is that similar to your experience? (I am not using white ink by the way)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.