T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering has any members experience of selling t shirts specifically made for a paticular sporting event of an attendence of 30,000+, i.e the superbowl or local football or baseball final. come to think of it even a concert

we have a football final over here and there will be 80,000 in attendence. I have a t shirt in mind for both sets of supporters but have no idea how many to print as they will be of no use after the final as reference to the event will be on the tee.

I was thinking of about 500 of each, i know most supporters will have their own t shirts and jerseys. dont want to do too many but dont want to do too little either.

who do you approach for a permit or street vending licence to sell outside a stadium?

would love to here comments of anyone who has undertaken such a project or knows of someone who has?

cheers

·
Registered
249 Posts
In the US it's called a peddlers license and you'd better make sure that you are not infringing on either teams brand by using their logo. That being said, I think 500 shirts each is a fair number if you're figuring that 1% might purchase a shirt from you.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have designed a different logo for the event and was planning on using that.

If you can image the superbowl 2006 logo being just a horizontally positioned football with "superbowl 2006" written on the football. say, you make a t shirt with a football positioned vertically, and a different color and size with "06 superbowl" underneath the football, would that get around steping on their toes but still being clear to the fans that the tshirts are for that event?.

·
2,957 Posts
I have a friend that has experience selling at big events. He does Mardi Gras, a huge music festival here in Tennessee called Bonaroo, concerts and other stuff. I helped him sell shirts at the Super Bowl in Atlanta a few years ago. That's how I got into selling t-shirts! Anyway, people tend to buy memorabilia for these types of events and really don't care about it being "official". At a sporting event though, there will be a high number of people with shirts that support their team already. So they may want something to commemorate the event and they may not. But if they do, you need to think about do they want your "generic" shirts (not official). You are walking a very thin line with it(as does my friend) and I don't know how hard they come down on people selling unofficial clothing in Ireland. Here in the US, you can see "bootlegged" clothing items outside or near lots of concerts and sporting events. That is another thing you must consider.
But back to the other stuff...
You will probably need to wow them with your graphics. One color is not going to get it, especially since a lot of them will already have some sort of team shirt or jersey. So that is going to raise your price a bit. I think 500 per team is a little high, only because like you said, most will already have shirts or jerseys. So I would say something like about 300 per team. Don't forget, you aren't going to be the only one there selling shirts! I think not enough is better than too much, since this is your first time doing it. You don't want to end up with hundreds of useless shirts, and you don't want to end up in a situation where it actually costs you money to sell shirts. If you are successful, and run out, then you know that you can do more the next time. Then if you still have too many, you can slash prices close to the end because you will not be able to use them. Most of your selling will be done before or after the event. After that, that's it! So you don't have much time and I would suggest having plenty of help. People probably wouldn't want to wait much to get an "unofficial" piece of memorabilia. I don't know how much t-shirts go for in Ireland, but you would want to keep the transaction as quick and as simple as possible. So I also suggest an easy denomination of euro.
Good luck to you!

·
Registered
249 Posts
If I were you I'd do some research into the name of the event has been protected under copyright. I would gues that no matter how you reword "superbowl" in the US, you would be infringing.

·
2,957 Posts
If I were you I'd do some research into the name of the event has been protected under copyright. I would gues that no matter how you reword "superbowl" in the US, you would be infringing.
I agree about the copywrite research, but not necessarily about "super bowl".

"I was at the Big Game, Baby!!!"
January 30, 2000
Titans & Rams

I was new to the game and didn't know much about trademarks. Neither did my friend. It may have been borderline. It was my first time selling a t-shirt. I did the graphics, he paid for the shirts and screen printing, and we split the money. I was surprised at how many people wanted an "unofficial" superbowl shirt.:eek:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had also planned on doing some tee for the world cup so does that mean that if i were doing a momorabilia t shirt for say the english fans for the Germany 2006 world cup, that I could nt use the words world cup in any manner?

Lets say that Fifa have trademarked "World Cup 2006 germany ", "Germany 2006 world cup" and " 2oo6 world cup germany" could nt a person sell a t shirt with a footballer and and a logo on his jersey with saying
"world cup 06"or even " germany 06" (thar latter has no reference to world cup although implied) This seems to be a hairy subject

·
2,957 Posts
It is a very hairy subject, indeed! More than likely, any big sporting event of this kind will have some "officially licensed products".
We used "Big Game" for the Super Bowl. There were others in Atlanta selling unofficial clothing with Super Bowl XXXIV. I don't know how legal it was for us, and I'm fairly confident the Super Bowl shirts were illegal. But there was no one there to stop them either. I don't have a clue about the World Cup, or what you can and can't use on shirts referring to it. I certainly don't advocate breaking the law, but you would need to judge for yourself as to how much that sort of thing is policed, or if it is not wrong at all in your country.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
sofakinggood said:
Lets say that Fifa have trademarked "World Cup 2006 germany ", "Germany 2006 world cup" and " 2oo6 world cup germany" could nt a person sell a t shirt with a footballer and and a logo on his jersey with saying "world cup 06"or even " germany 06" (thar latter has no reference to world cup although implied) This seems to be a hairy subject
This is not legal advice, but "world cup 06" would probably be an infringement (or could be seen as one) but "Germany 06" is pretty generic and could probably get by.

Part of it is intent, so if you are trying to profit from a persons trademark in the same or similar manner that they are trying to, then you're going to have problems.

If you're writing a book and word cup is only 2 words in the 100,000 pages of your book, you'll probably have less problems (but should probably still contact a lawyer and get rights to use the name :) ).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cheers rodney for that advice.

if i got right to use say "germany 06" on a t shirt do you think any retail outlets would purchase these tees if they were of good quality and design?

any further comments or experience on selling tees outside major sporting event in relation to numbers, permits, demand etc

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
sofakinggood said:
if i got right to use say "germany 06" on a t shirt do you think any retail outlets would purchase these tees if they were of good quality and design?
You could always try :)

I'm guessing they would have to be really unique shirts for a retail outlet to want to purchase them (since they could probably get shirts that say germany 06 from anywhere...including some of the current suppliers).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sorry i meant that germany 06 would only be like a small crest on the t shirt and big across the back of t shirt, i have a soccer design for the front of the t shirt in team colours. i can sell the t shirt with the soccer design and no refference to germany but it i think it would have more appeal if it was referenced in some way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would also recommend searching U.S. trademarks:
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=kddov2.1.1
I use this all the time to see who owns the rights to certain trademarks.If you search "Superbowl" for example, you'll find the trademark's actually held by an industrial disinfectant company or something like that.
Things like dates and country names are generally public domain and can't be trademarked, but when you string certain words together, you'll want to make sure you're not violating any existing marks.
I made reference to the New York Marathon on my website --without actually selling a product with the words or logo on it-- and I received a letter from the trademark-holding organization threatening legal action, so you just have to be very careful.
Sharon

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ha, funny you mention that site (freeadvice) Layla i was actually on that site yesterday but it seem to only be relavant for us state laws as you have to enter which state your from.

I think the us law and european laws might differ somewhat on copyright and trademark. Here is a senario :i wonder if someone searched the us trademark site for a paticular word say "scary teddy" for example and nothing showed up. so you continue to print a t shirt with design and the words "scary teddy" and sell online. Then the t shirt is purchased by 25 people form the uk and it turns out that those words "scary teddy" had been already trademarked in the uk first. unlikly to happen but ....

thanks sharon for your comments and example of what can happen if one is not careful. if anyone else has any views on the original tread above please comment

thanks

·
Registered
741 Posts
Has anyone ever done smaller sporting events in local communities? Lacrosse tournaments, swimming meets, basketball tournaments, etc? I was wondering how much you donate back to the organization? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts