T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been screen printing almost everyday since I learned 2-3 months ago and I havent had one come out perfect. Also have watched countless videos online and bought many supplies and always learning by trail and error dont know what else do it.
I started with ryonets postergig DIY kit with water based inks and now i got some plastisol inks which i only used once.
Ive been playing with exposure and have gotten pretty good at it from 9-12 mins. I use a strong shower head for water pressure, I dont have money to fork out for a 200 dollar machine Ive already invested so much as is.

Ive messed up two screens so far and Im tired of wasting money I need help and would super appreciate it. I am a college student with a passion for graphic design and am trying to set up shop on etsy :/ Anyone help me thanks.

Here is a montage of pics from the last few months. Not exactly in order.
http://imgur.com/a/yTyfX
If nothing works out I will go take ryonets class next months for 300 which is a smack to my wallet but Ill have to risk it.

Thanks in advance

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My guesses:
1. They're not dry enough before you expose them.
2. They're not exposed enough.
3. They're not degreased enough.
Thank you for the reply man. :)

1. Usually let them dry over night so about 8 hours or so.
2. Ive played with exposure so much and have gotten because as you can see the pictures arent in order but the worse ones are the first ones and the best ones are the recent ones. I have been exposing a lot.
3. This could be a possibility but I have a degreaser and the greenstuff from ryonet. I kind of doubt it.

I majorly believe is how much emulsion i coat on the screen or over exposure?
Just my guesses.

· Registered
358 Posts
Looks like there is wayyyyy too much emulsion on the screen, and they're not drying enough (so when you go to wash them out, the emulsion soaks up the water and distorts the stencil). Even if you are drying them for 8 hours, it won't matter if it's 8 hours or 48 hours when it's somewhere that's really humid (which seems to be the problem). Try a thinner coat of emulsion on both sides, make sure you're drying them in the driest room possible, and then try another exposure.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No worries, I'm glad to help out. Try thinner coats of emulsion - one on the shirt side then one on the ink side. Both with the thin side of the coater.

Where do you live and what's the humidity?
Ill try that tonight, NYC right now its in the fifties but the time i have done these it probably was way lower and in my apartment.

Looks like there is wayyyyy too much emulsion on the screen, and they're not drying enough (so when you go to wash them out, the emulsion soaks up the water and distorts the stencil). Even if you are drying them for 8 hours, it won't matter if it's 8 hours or 48 hours when it's somewhere that's really humid (which seems to be the problem). Try a thinner coat of emulsion on both sides, make sure you're drying them in the driest room possible, and then try another exposure.
Thank you so much for this i was afraid of the opposite but you must be right ill get on that right away.

in order to post pics here you have to use an image hosting site.

tried your url and it says it was 'over capacity'. never heard of that.

are the screens bought pre-stretched?
I used IMGR

Yes

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
screens week of4/28/14 - Imgur

Got a new scrren done this morning ganna print in a few mins. also the shirt there is the lastest i did before making this post here on this forum. so probably friday. :)

Let me know. Looks really good now thanks to your tips guys.
Took my time concentrated and came out prettty good so far lets see if it really is well to print.

· Registered
3,503 Posts
just be careful how close you put your image to the inside print area of your screen. it's a pain to have the ink crammed into that area. i would have used 2 separate screens, one for each design.

the middle of the screen is the sweet spot. if you are printing this onto a pallet you'll find out what i'm talking about when it comes time to move and line up your print onto the shirt.

· Registered
3 Posts
Been screen printing almost everyday since I learned 2-3 months ago and I havent had one come out perfect. Also have watched countless videos online and bought many supplies and always learning by trail and error dont know what else do it.
I started with ryonets postergig DIY kit with water based inks and now i got some plastisol inks which i only used once.
Ive been playing with exposure and have gotten pretty good at it from 9-12 mins. I use a strong shower head for water pressure, I dont have money to fork out for a 200 dollar machine Ive already invested so much as is.

Ive messed up two screens so far and Im tired of wasting money I need help and would super appreciate it. I am a college student with a passion for graphic design and am trying to set up shop on etsy :/ Anyone help me thanks.

Here is a montage of pics from the last few months. Not exactly in order.
screens - Imgur
If nothing works out I will go take ryonets class next months for 300 which is a smack to my wallet but Ill have to risk it.

Thanks in advance
It looks like you do have to much emulsion I us a good scoop coater and one coat on the bottom first then one coat on the top. I have a lot of humidity here and I use a small space heater in my dark room and set it to about 85 degrees with a floor fan running and mine are dry in about 2 Hours. I use Ryonet RXP Emulsion dual cure Diazo. I have not had good luck with the Water base stuff. I have a good vacuum unit and I expose around 10 to 15 mins. Then wash out. After I clean my screens after use I us a 75% water and 25% Dawn Dishwashing liquid as a degreaser by scrubbing both sides and then power washing the finale rinse and then drying.. Good Luck I hope this helps.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just be careful how close you put your image to the inside print area of your screen. it's a pain to have the ink crammed into that area. i would have used 2 separate screens, one for each design.

the middle of the screen is the sweet spot. if you are printing this onto a pallet you'll find out what i'm talking about when it comes time to move and line up your print onto the shirt.
Well thats cause there is a design in the middle that has blocked ink and it doesnt let anything thru so i had to push the new designs furtest from it. thats my main problem now.
I am trying to invest in a new screen soon.
Thank you for your reply.

It looks like you do have to much emulsion I us a good scoop coater and one coat on the bottom first then one coat on the top. I have a lot of humidity here and I use a small space heater in my dark room and set it to about 85 degrees with a floor fan running and mine are dry in about 2 Hours. I use Ryonet RXP Emulsion dual cure Diazo. I have not had good luck with the Water base stuff. I have a good vacuum unit and I expose around 10 to 15 mins. Then wash out. After I clean my screens after use I us a 75% water and 25% Dawn Dishwashing liquid as a degreaser by scrubbing both sides and then power washing the finale rinse and then drying.. Good Luck I hope this helps.
Hey thanks man Ill try it out.
Did you see the new pics i posted above your post?
I use the ryonet hybrid emulsion.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

· Registered
3,503 Posts
i live on the east cost and the shipping from ryonet kills me.

i only buy water based ink and discharge stuff from them now when i have to.

the co. from the link sells plastisol, emulsion, stripper etc. etc. all that stuff. gets here in 2 days too.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
i live on the east cost and the shipping from ryonet kills me.

i only buy water based ink and discharge stuff from them now when i have to.

the co. from the link sells plastisol, emulsion, stripper etc. etc. all that stuff. gets here in 2 days too.
8.99 shipping for me and if i buy supplies over 100 or 150 i believe its free. wood screens are from 18-22. I dont really see the point in buying aluminium screens; which are probably 5 bucks more.

Did you the last link i posted? came out pretty well but could be better only thing i can do now is order a new screen cause there no way around this.

· Registered
8,278 Posts
Wood screens warp and let off tension much quicker the wood. IMO the wood are a total waste of money.

The aluminum don't warp, which will hold tension much longer. It's not always about the price when it comes to putting quality out the door

Even aluminum screen can suck if the person stretching them doesn't do them correctly they do not last and tension drops quickly to undesirable amount before the mesh stabilizes.

Your new pic there is a lot of smearing on the edges. Either your stencil is under exposed causing some blow out or technique needs some work, off contact, flooding, squeegee pressure or angle could all be a issue. Practice and experimentation will be your friend.

Reactions: civil238

· Registered
825 Posts
I dont really see the point in buying aluminium screens; which are probably 5 bucks more.
I don't see the point in ever buying a wooden screen EVER. They warp, can lose tension much quicker than aluminum, and you can not send them out to be re-meshed. Their is no investment value in them and you would get much more life out of aluminum frames. Aluminum screens are definitely worth their increased price.

I'll sell you all of my wooden screens for $5 each if you pay the shipping :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.