T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish to start my own clothing line. I have a name for it and have a million designs running around in my head. There's one huge problem though, I CAN'T DRAW WORTH A LICK. My mother is a superb artist, like the female version of Picasso, but no talent at all was passed on to me. So any budding clothing line owners have this problem??? When you hired a graphic designer, was he or she able to accurately transform the design in your head into a tangible reality? And how was the finacial side worked out? Did you pay one flat fee or what? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

· Registered
21 Posts
Why don't you hire your mother?

There are a million places to find an eager designer to hire. But before you do, I'd trim down the millions of ideas in your head to 2 or 3 or you'll spend all your money with the designer. I'm a designer who charges $35 an hour, and that's comparatively inexpensive, so just be careful that you're not spending hours and hours tweaking your design.

· Registered
97 Posts
I have the same problem! Everything is done. From the financing to the shipping. I can't sleep because of the millions of designs bursting in to my head every minute. All my design are made with paint and cooltext.com (free fonts!) but I don't know how to make it have that professional touch. I'm trying to contact my Dad's friend for graphic design help.

Any tips before I hire someone?

· Registered
21 Posts
The old adages apply; if it seems too good to be true, it probably is and you get what you pay for (for the most part). My best advice is to be aware of your gut reaction when working with a designer. If you don't feel comfortable, it's probably not a good idea. But if you hit it off well, then that's half the battle.

· Registered
20 Posts
You can get design work done by artists by paying a small fee for the illustration work. Make sure when you get custom art you have them sign a contract (found online or made by you) that gives you the rights to print the images.
Generally you can find art students or emerging artists to do the work for a little lower than a professional. Approach them with confidence like you know exactly what you want and exactly what you want to pay for it so they know you mean business. You may have to pay half down in some cases but never pay full for your art before you have received it.

· Registered
21 Posts
Generally you can find art students or emerging artists to do the work for a little lower than a professional. Approach them with confidence like you know exactly what you want and exactly what you want to pay for it so they know you mean business. You may have to pay half down in some cases but never pay full for your art before you have received it.
If he had an idea of exactly what he wanted, this wouldn't be a problem! I still think he should work with his mom and at least get it down to one solid idea.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.