T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into doing uniform logos for local schools. The standard shirts they use are button down oxford dress shirts with the logo embroidered on the pocket. I haven't found any of these shirts with logos screen printed on them and I'm wondering maybe there is a good reason, so if anyone has any experience with this type of cloth please share your experience. I'm wondering things like:
1 - is there some difficulty presented in this type of cloth?
2 - will it look nice (as compared to embroidery)?
3 - is there a certain ink that would work better or look nicer?
4 - any other tips on the best way to approach this fabric?
If no one has experience with that kind of thing then I guess I'll just have to try it out myself and update you all on the results.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hi Mendel

Your answer may well exist in assumption #2.

Note that "high-end" product with "high-end" decoration satisfies market expectations,
but lesser approaches often detract from the premium quality desires in the final product.

With that said, yes, your dress shirts could be marked with a screen print that would do them justice in a consumers eyes,
but the successful result is often a print intended to mimic the original "high-end" expecation:
Rutland Plastic Technologies

Good question.
Happy trails!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Obviously I'm not experienced enough to do that and the amount of layers would likely make it impractical as opposed to just embroidering, but it definitely gives me some cool things to experiment with.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
752 Posts
The first response about matching the product with an appropriate embellishment is right on the money. However, sewing on the pocket will more than likely make the pocket unusable. I would try to convince my customer to sew above the pocket.

You can make a jig, spray tack, slide the pocket over it and then screenprint while eliminating the layers issue. However, this might not be appropriate for the type of school that requires a dress shirt.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I've screenprinted my logo on some twill weave shirts from Bodek & Rhodes and it came out nice . . . really tight detail, although I got some slight bleed into the white on a burgundy shirt. The problem with oxford weave, and even worse, with pique, is the texture tends to be a little more pronounced. Dark ink on light probably wouldn't be bad, but I've tried white ink on a gray pique weave and it looked crappy.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This would be Navy Blue logos on white shirts. From what you're saying Tom, I'm getting the feeling that while it may not be the standard way to go it is possible that I might get a result I am happy with if I experiment a little. Probably the thing for me to do here is to pick up a yard or 2 of oxford, cut it into squares and start playing around with it and see what I get.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Never hurts to try. On a twill shirt, you can hold more detail than a tee because the weave is tight and the surface smooth.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just wanted to update on this. I test printed with royal blue ryopaque ink on white oxfords and IMO the result was very nice. No loss in detail and very soft hand print. 7 washes and no degradation so far. We'll be showing this to the school later today - I'll let you all know what their call is on this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts