T-Shirt Forums banner

Anyone have any tips on embroidering t-shirts? Here's where I'm at with it.

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  binki 
#1 ·
I've been trying to figure out how to embroider t-shirts and I just can't get the hang of it. I'm at a point where the design looks pretty good, but it isn't perfect or retail-ready.

In the pic you can see where parts of the design look transparent (it's throughout the design and more apparent in person, but if you look at the top of the d, you can see what I'm talking about). I used solvy, temporary adhesive, 1 piece of 2.5 oz cutaway and a 75/11 sharp on a 6.5 oz. LA apparel t-shirt here. This has been the best recipe I've been able to find so far, but is there anything else I should be trying?

Ballpoint needles don't seem to work for me, even though I see people recommending them for tees.

Grey Tints and shades Font Pattern Fashion accessory

See less See more
#5 ·
First off, don't embroider on T shirts. It will look like crap the first time it is washed. Second, if you must do T's then use a fusible stabilizer or a specialized for thin poly behind and maybe use Solvy on top (try without first) and low density stitching but use a cross underlay if you want it to fill out. And finally, NEVER use sharps on knit. You will cut the fabric and it will look awful once washed.

#6 ·
It honestly looks like your density just needs to be adjusted. You definitely shouldn't have to use solvy on T-shirts. I use 240 Cutaway folded in half with a piece of no show mesh on top of that. Works pretty well for a T-shirt. I never understand why customers want embroidered Tees lol. But thats what helps me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.