T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a Canada problem... shipping up here has gone insane.

I had to pull my store 'cause I lost money on my last batch of shipments as Canada Post will no longer let me ship a scarf or shirt in a large envelope.

It might fit through their magic slot if it were vacuum sealed.

If not, I'm done.

· Registered
4,500 Posts
This might be a Canada problem... shipping up here has gone insane.

I had to pull my store 'cause I lost money on my last batch of shipments as Canada Post will no longer let me ship a scarf or shirt in a large envelope.

It might fit through their magic slot if it were vacuum sealed.

If not, I'm done.
Does it go through the slot easy without any assistance, or does it need a little bit off pulling?
I've heard that this is subject to interpretation, from place to place.
If not sure, then vacuum seal it. I'd do it half way if I was you... You don't want the shirt to look like packaged salmon.

· Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it go through the slot easy without any assistance, or does it need a little bit off pulling?
I've heard that this is subject to interpretation, from place to place.
If not sure, then vacuum seal it. I'd do it half way if I was you... You don't want the shirt to look like packaged salmon.
They refuse to even try to push it through at all. It wouldn't take much to get a shirt through it.

What I discovered though, was one day after a week of shipping hundreds of things express post, the lady behind the counter was soooo happy. She met some quota and was going to get an iPad because I shipped so much via express post.

So the people back there are not service people, they are sales people. With targets ect...

Changes the perspective of them entirely.

They don't want that thing to go through the slot, cause that means they can 'upsell' you to a higher value shipping level and get whatever notch in their incentive belt they get.

Did you continue you using or get a vacuum sealer? I noticed another thread where you talked about it.

· Registered
4,500 Posts
Well... I'm not from Canada, but as far as I know the "large letter" size is an international agreement, and all national post services use it. We had this problem in the UK as well, because the Royal mail is now a private company, and they want to make as much money as possible. But there are official rules to be folloewd. https://youtu.be/HylEcfeLn3M?t=394
These UK letters are obviously accepted by the Canadian postal service, as well as any other postal service world wide. So I suggest you ask the Canadian post office for the same confirmation letter.

I bet the lady behind the counter will not be so happy to see it :eek:
I do have a vacuum sealer by the way, and I do use it for small packages. Bags are cheaper than boxes :D.

· Registered
4,277 Posts
only 12 589 unread posts since i was last here, that should not take long

what happened socceronly?

did you follow this from last time?

i still vac seal and ship for about $2.50 for one and $3 for two tees
folding is important, as is the card-stock to keep it from balling up

· Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
only 12 589 unread posts since i was last here, that should not take long

what happened socceronly?

did you follow this from last time?

i still vac seal and ship for about $2.50 for one and $3 for two tees
folding is important, as is the card-stock to keep it from balling up
Ah! Thanks.

I found a temporary work around with better folding and pressing.

It seems the gate of doom got smaller or they are pickier...

My concern today was whether or not to buy something to do this.... tired of throwing money at problems.

Especially if a few months from now they just change it again.... :(

I'll give it a shot this time.

Thanks again.

· Registered
4,277 Posts
pick up the seal-a-meal machine and a roll of large vac seal material from wally world and try it for a week
if it is not working out take it back

it sounds like you should try a different post office,
mine is very helpful and tries to save me money (it might be an east-west thing though, move to bc)

· Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pick up the seal-a-meal machine and a roll of large vac seal material from wally world and try it for a week
if it is not working out take it back

it sounds like you should try a different post office,
mine is very helpful and tries to save me money (it might be an east-west thing though, move to bc)
Ha... I'm from Vancouver. Moved out here almost 17 years ago.

Where are you located?

· Registered
4,277 Posts
shuswap

looking at nanaimo area for a future move though (before prices get too crazy there too!)

17 years ago was a smart decision
my wife was just telling me about an apartment there for $2300/month,
it was one room with the bed over top of the bathtub (like a bunk-bed)

· Registered
4,277 Posts
Ah! Thanks.

I found a temporary work around with better folding and pressing.

It seems the gate of doom got smaller or they are pickier...
just sent one out today for $1.90 (youth large 50/50)
they did not even try the slot, just a quick weigh
it was wafer thin

our normal tees are fairly lightweight, so maybe that is the difference
what are your normal tee's?

· Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oooook!

I finally got to this, back at my studio and working again.

I bought a FoodSave 4825, with Gallon sized bags.

This worked fantastically. I was able to seal up an XL shirt and a scarf with no problem at all. I suspect I could do multiple shirts.

One caveat in buying this combo is the FoodSave bags are branded, it does look a little odd to have FoodSaver written on it.

I think Uline makes FoodSaver bags, it's not clear if anything is written on them. I'll post that when I find out.

What a relief.

· Registered
4,500 Posts
Yeah, you can definitely put 2 tees in one envelope. I do this when I have to send two sample tees. I only vacuum it half way, and never had a problem. I bet if I vacuum it all the way I can fit 3 shirts, and still be under the 750gr limit, but then it looks awful.
I use the pink anti-static tube bags, but I'm not sure if you can use them with your vacuum sealer.

· Registered
4,277 Posts
Oooook!

I finally got to this, back at my studio and working again.

I bought a FoodSave 4825, with Gallon sized bags.

This worked fantastically. I was able to seal up an XL shirt and a scarf with no problem at all. I suspect I could do multiple shirts.

One caveat in buying this combo is the FoodSave bags are branded, it does look a little odd to have FoodSaver written on it.

I think Uline makes FoodSaver bags, it's not clear if anything is written on them. I'll post that when I find out.

What a relief.
good to hear

· Registered
4,500 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.