T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke with Screentprintsupply.com and now have some questions:

1. Do I need a 16x20 heat press or is 15x15 sufficient enough? They wrote that:
The 16x20 can accommodate the 11"x17" paper, which is the largest size paper we offer. I wan't to be able to do different types of shirts like sweathers, tshirts, etc... with the press so which one do I need?

2. "We offer the Epson Stylus 1520 Inkjet Printer, which can handle paper up to 17"x22", for $399. We actually use Epson printers in-house and I myself personally use an Epson Stylus printer so I can personally attest to and vouch for the quality of print that this family of inkjet printers." Is this a good printer. I want one of the best printers available under $500 so would this be a good way to go.

3. What type of transfer paper do I need to buy. Everyone tells me to get a different type of paper at a different site and I am confused.

Thank You

·
Registered
37 Posts
1. I prefer not to print too big transferimages as they are always a bit stiffer than the shirt itself. I'd go for the 16X20 if i was you.

2. Got no idea.

3. Check my thread regarding paper, there are some good tips there.

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. So wouldn't this mean that I should get the 15X15? I don't intend on printing images that big but just wanted the option if I have one.

3. Would you have a link to that thread?

Would like a lot more comments please

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
The thread in question is at http://www.t-shirtforums.com/showthread.php?t=629. Transjet II/Magic Jet is really the way to go.

Basically, what type of press depends on what you will be doing. If you expect or plan to be doing transfers that large, go for it. If you don't see yourself ever doing ones that large, it probably is not worth the extra expense. One other note, though: I find a big press very nice even though I'm only doing 8.5x11 transfers at present simply because I can center the shirt on the press a lot better.

The printer should be fine as long as it can use The OEM Epson Durabrite or TLM's Magic Mix inks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
tshirtworld said:
On that note, how do you perfectly center the image/transfer sheet on the tshirt?
I usually make sure the neck is centered by comparing it to the metal pice that the bottom plate and the top plate that the heat press is mounted to. The iron bar that is in the center just behind the bottom plate that is.

After doing that i check so there is the same ammount of left over cloth on the left and right sides of the bottom plate "my press is about 15"x15 or somethign like that)

Most of the times it works but ofcourse it happens that it ends up a bit on the side or a little bit tilted sometimes.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have the hix 9x12 hobby lite and it works just fine. Centering takes a tad longer than it would on larger heat press but all in all it does the same thing fror 8.5x11 transfers, and you can get one for 300 bucks. I also use the c86 epson printer....100 bucks and it has a $20 mail in rebate. That has worked ok for me too.

I'm no expert but I wouldn't recommend buying the top of the line right up front unless you're absolutely positive you'll need it. You'll go broke trying. (from experience :))

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't want to buy something cheap and then buy something good. Im not buying anything top of the lne but I figured i would need to invest around $2,000 - $2,500 to get tshirtworld.com going. Here is the breakdown I figured
Tshirt press - 16X20 - $1,000
Printer - $400-$500
Website - $400-500
THe rest for inventory of tshirts, transfers, etc...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Worst printing machine in my factory!! I've wasted hundreds of hours using this machine, and thousands of dollars in waste.

Go with a high quality machine, not a mickey mouse one like this. It will pay off in the long run.

You know the old addage. You get what you pay for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts