T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to start using a program other then photoshop i have been using to edit and work with eps files..

Looking at Xara and Inkscape

Inkscape being Free sounds real good but how is it when working in it vs a paid program like Xara day to day.

I DL a trial of Xara and it seems like it has very little features just playing around with it.

I need to make full color designs using a lot of eps clip art but also use jpg images and textures.

will be full color printing everything.

Thanks

· Registered
256 Posts
xara can do photo editing and webpage design for starters in it's $300 version. i've been researching this subject myself, and xara is better than illustrator and corel in a lot of ways, most notably it's cheaper price.

compared to those 2 as well as inkscape,

xara is easier to learn and faster to work with. i like the idea of a program being more user friendly and not having to fight with it as much to get something done or wait for it to update.

as inkscape is free, why not just try it out yourself and see if it suits your style? i don't like overly technical programs myself and xara just sounds like the most intuitive one that's still professional quality/featured.

that's a problem with a lot of programs in general... they're way more complicated than they should be because programmers think everyone thinks like they do and don't put what should be most of their energy into simplifying their interface. a really good program shouldn't need a user's manual, but so many of them bury important features under 3 layers of menues and further obscure them with wierd names that don't describe the feature.

xara's a no brainer for me after wasting all that mental energy to learn more about it and the competition. your results will vary. some people actually like more expensive and complicated illustrator more... go figure.

oh yeah... if inkscape is vector graphics only, it probably doesn't accept photoshop plug ins like xara does either

· Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think i am going with CorelDRAW X7.

For one i want to use the Fashion Factory plug in and all the extras that go with that.
advancedtshirts.com - Fashion Factory 2.0 Product

I do not think that will work with Xara. I spend most of the day watching videos on using corel and then doing it and i like it. I made a set of notes on the main features i want to use and how to use them. I see i have a lot to lean but i think with the Fashion Factory plug in and everything that helps control it i will be able to get more cool stuff done faster and have tons of brushes and effects all ready to go in one click.

I could not find any plug ins or extras for Xara and i am not sure what would work with it or not as none of the corel extras i have found say anything about working with Xara.

If they all do then that might sway me back over that direction.

· Registered
8,374 Posts
I think i am going with CorelDRAW X7.

For one i want to use the Fashion Factory plug in and all the extras that go with that.
advancedtshirts.com - Fashion Factory 2.0 Product

I do not think that will work with Xara. I spend most of the day watching videos on using corel and then doing it and i like it. I made a set of notes on the main features i want to use and how to use them. I see i have a lot to lean but i think with the Fashion Factory plug in and everything that helps control it i will be able to get more cool stuff done faster and have tons of brushes and effects all ready to go in one click.

I could not find any plug ins or extras for Xara and i am not sure what would work with it or not as none of the corel extras i have found say anything about working with Xara.

If they all do then that might sway me back over that direction.
Go with X6 if going with Corel. X7 right now has some issues with color space and some other issues. Also I don't think Tom's plugins is x7 compatable yet but I may be wrong. I have every product Tom has and use them very often.

Not sure type of embellishment your doing but for screen printing Al are helpful. Goto his YouTube channel he has stuff just for Corel techniques that don't pertain to his products that are helpful.

· Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I talked with him yesterday and the x7 working version will be out in a week or so. So i am waiting till then to order it.

What all is wrong with X7 i will not be doing any screen printing i will be printing full color output for posters, signs and things like that. Was thinking i could make some cool stuff with his packages of add ons.

Watched many of his videos today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.