T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
122 Posts
Re: Specialty Materials

I've used them for a while now...I've had some problems with certain colors (thermoflex columbia blue and neons). But their service is excellent and I am happy to continue using them.

· Registered
2,224 Posts

I've used them for a while now...I've had some problems with certain colors (thermoflex columbia blue and neons). But their service is excellent and I am happy to continue using them.
If you were trying to layer with these colors, they are not recommended for being a bottom layer.

"Most colors of ThermoFlex® Plus may be applied in layers for multi-colored designs, with the exception of the Neon colors, Antique Silver, Old Gold, Metal Flake colors and Columbia Blue. These colors cannot have layers adhered on top of them, although we have successfully layered these products on top of other colors."

· Registered
122 Posts

No, I have repeat business that uses Sapphire Blue (not layered). I accidentally ordered Columbia blue one time and it was a nightmare!!! It is the only Thermoflex Plus color that cannot have a layer on top of it...(?) And I had to cool peel it. I've used about every other color without problem (yellow gives me trouble sometimes on small cuts).

As for the neons (which are awesome) I have trouble with them shrinking and the glue showing. And I have trouble with them on (Gildan) hoodies. It just requires more care/attention to get it right.

All in all, I wouldn't hesitate to use them, just stay clear of the Columbia blue, haha.

· Registered
122 Posts
The Columbia blue is made the same way as the neon colors..so you may to some adjusting. I never heard of the shrinking..what material where you using?
I noticed that... Most vinyl has the same color front and back. The Columbia blue has a white backing, as does the neon.

The neon pink would shrink (the white "backing" would creep out from a center radius), where as neon green gave me no problems. I've had more success on 50/50 tees than 50/50 hoodies. And best results with a decreased press time. Decreased temperature would probably be better, but I usually ruin multiple jobs.

· Registered
262 Posts
Specialty is an outstanding company! If your layering i say get a throw away shirt for testing and try testing your layers on that. Rather than wasting a whole shirt. Also if your shirts are pre treated , ive found sometimes you have to spritz them with water heat press them , then add your material!

· Registered
10 Posts
I talked with the folks at Specialty Materials today and they tell me (and their catalog explains) that you have to either wipe down shirts with alcohol ore prewash garments before applying their vinyl... are all of you doing this step?

· Registered
2,270 Posts
Surely it has to do with the garments you use. A shirt that is made for post-decorating shouldn't need any of this.

I use their vinyl and have never pre-washed or wiped down. It's always been a good transfer. I also use shirts only made for decorating. Anything you buy retail may have sizing and soil retardants (so it shows longer and better on the shelves) that could pose problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.