T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ever created a shirt that is done similar to what a branding iron would do to a cow? I'm trying to decipher a method, or adjust my artwork, to get the same style of art. The shirt is a standard tee, but the goal is to have a logo look like it was "branded" onto the tee. The other thought is to have it look like it was cast from a mold(i.e. precious metals that are heated up and then poured into a mold and chilled) I have a 4 station manual press and would like it to be just a few colors with halftones.

I'm guessing this is all in the artwork, but it may be a technique as well. Any suggestions on how to do this would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks,
Troy

·
Registered
129 Posts
I haven't messed around much with special effects printing but there are definitely some creative inks and techniques out there. Use a texture pallet to give the ink a textured feel. I've seen the trick of taping wrinkly paper to the pallet so the ink goes down unevenly giving it a stone like texture.

also check out Rutland brand inks catalog for a big list of specialty inks.

Rutland Plastic Technologies

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I've never branded a T, but I have branded a cow. This may not be any help to you but typically in the media I've seen the branding was done on wood. A freshly branded cow is not very attractive. :)

Reactions: BiGGraphics

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took a look at their site and WOW. I've learned quite a bit about other techniques and styles via screen printing! Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
43 Posts
The branding idea sounds like it's going to be all in the artwork to get the right look, but I as far as the mold look goes you could always try to do a puff white as an under base and use the chrome silver ink on top of it. I'm not sure on the logistics of the correct flash times to gel the white with out the puff reaction taking place but it would be worth a try to see if you can get the results you're looking for. Also remember to always test was the experiment to make sure that the two inks will bond properly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts