T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i was just wondering if there is any trick methods of doing die cut transfers on caps without purchasing a cap press, i own a standard heat press and would like to create some hats just for my own personal business so i cant justify purchasing a cap press just for that...

SO.. anyone ever figure out a way to do this with a standard press?

Was thinking of creating a slightly rounded die to insert inside the hat and then manually pressing it up against the heat platen and and rotating it left to right to get even heat distribution... I know it makes me sound like a cheap a$$ but like i said just wanting to do a few for myself...

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also if i were to just place something flat inside the hat and press it flat, would it completely ruin the shape of the hat? or would i be able to get straightened out afterwards?

·
Registered
426 Posts
I tried that method and never could get it right:/ I didn't have much money either, so I bought a used one off of Craigslist:) It is a cheap ebay made in China one no less. However, I did intend to sell caps and I have made a mint, earning many times more than the price I paid. I bought the cap press in Feb.

Caps are a very high return item. you pay $2-$4 for a basic pigment dye cap, or even less for a visor. You can gang up your transfers or in my case I make rhinestone designs and apply them. I sell them at horse shows for $25 each and people snatch them up. I had them priced at $15 and $20 and people right off said I am not asking enough so $25 it is. I paid $100 or so for the press, so you can see how the math works out.

I even purchase embroidered caps for just about retail, bling them and still make $10 / cap. I love caps:D Not that I am trying to help you justify buying one, but I know you could get your money back in no time if you did get one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow i didnt know you could find one for $100, i was thinking i'd be looking at 400-500, i wouldnt mind paying 100, especially if you have had good luck with yours, what brand and model did you get if you dont mind me asking?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh and that's the other thing, there will be no money to be made, i only got into pressing to save money long term by creating my own promotional items for my automotive, towing, and sign business since i already owned a vinyl cutter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts