T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told it’s very difficult doing plates. I have had requests for them, so I’m thinking of investing in a heat press to do so. If you have experience please give me some information. Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. Do you heat the plate up before you press a design on to them? I looked at your web site very nice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nope you heat the puck, I think for 15 minutes, don't have my instructions in front of me right now. Then press the picture to the plate. I have to use waterslips for the wording on the plate lip, and I explain this to the customer, that this makes the plate decorative only, but they don't care.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have instructions? I have heard nothing but horror stories on doing plates, and how hard they are to do. I make my living as an artist but I sell most of my work in the Aspen, Vail area. It's hard for me to get up there right now. I have been only doing tiles, they are easy. Going to start doing mugs, t-shirts ect. I have been looking at getting the mug plus pro from Nova chrome usa. They have an attachment plate press that I could buy. I already have a flat heat press couldn't I just get a Plate Puck Package to use with it? Any info would be very helpful. Thank you Tom

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
I do plates, but I have a plate press that will do a 6 inch image..big enough for most plates...print time image, put in on the plate and press..only tricky thing at first is to get the pressure right before you apply too much and break the plate...one you have that down, it is as simple as doing a normal dye sub press

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advise Charles. I think I'm going to buy a puck for my heatpress. Then I guess it will be trial and error tell I get it right. tom

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Tom...just to be clear I do not use a puck...but a plate heat press. When I tried doing plates with a puck, it was too slow to do a half dozen or so...but pucks will work...just make sure you get them hot enough before apply to the transfer

I do note you mention you are considering buying a heat press to do this. Since you posted this under the sublimation section are you doing sublimation now?? You do know you require a specific type printer and specific type ink and a plate that is polymer coated...can't use any printer/ink/plate

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I do have a heat press. It's called the "Tile master". I have the 4880 epson printer that I use to print out the transfers. I use Ar Tainium inks, from sawgrass. I have been using it to reproduce my paintings. I have only been doing tiles the last four years. Now I want to start doing, mugs, plates and other items. I'm looking at the mug plus pro for the mugs, they have a plate attachment that I could add on to it. They just came out with a plate package for the tile master that I'm going to call for some info on tomorrow. What type of press do you use for your plates? Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
I bought a no-name press from a shop in LA when I was down for the ISS show a few years ago.. For inexpensive mug press that is digital time/temp you could check out www.photomugs.com..about $495 go to SunIE.com their mug press is $139. I have no idea of this unit. I do have their 15x15 press which I bought in an emergency and it is work okay.But as to their other products....who knows??? They are located in Carson City NV and Photomugs is located in Sunnyvale, CA

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
I am having a difficult time finding plates- where/who do you order from?
Any Dyesub place or awards place like Marco Awards, Coastal Business, Conde, etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts