T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3,420 Posts
i am trying to become as big as posible, (arent we all LOL)
But, What are good tips to stay in business? Things that can continue this business for years and years to come!!!

Hey, dont be afraid to share!!!!:):confused:
While it's admirable to want to grow your business as big as possible a word of advice don't grow to quickly, take your time and make good choices as to which areas to grow and when.

Not everyone wants to be the biggest, while we all want to be the best at what we do, the bigger the business the bigger the headaches, the bigger the chance for failure, but also the rewards are bigger.

Hope this helps.

· Registered
3,420 Posts
I have been in this business for 3 years now and I still dont have it all figured out, maybe tips would help.
Treat your customers the way you would want to be treated, I know it's an old adage but it is a true statement, if you make promises to your customers make sure you deliver on those promises, on time and at the price quoted, be prepared to work around the clock if necessary, if you have a family make sure they share your passion, are supportive of your endeavor, and understanding when they have to take a back seat to your business, to grow you have to make sacrifices, it's normally your family and friends that are the first to be sacrificed.

Hope this helps.

· Registered
215 Posts
Here, I'll throw you some and hopefully it helps. If you're just starting out and would like to do majority of process (hands on labor) and not just selling; prepare yourself to work 16 - 20 hours a day and yes, most likely will include your weekends too (you think that's a lot? I think it's just about right). Unless you're business is ready to pay your desired salary or at least a fair salary for what you do, DON'T QUIT YOUR DAY JOB!! At this times of economic situation, having an additional income from your day job will greatly ease everything when it comes to financial situation. Having this steady income will greatly help you from decision you would do for your business, specially when it comes to pricing your service, some people putting their self in the situation to almost working for free just to get the customer job in their shop and survive until they finally realize and gave up on it. Extra income will also help you when it comes to growing your business needs, this most specially on equipment investment. Most bank or companies will easily give you a loan if they see that you have that steady income and don't forget that most bank will base your small business loan on your personal credit score. And if the business even grow that it would be able to pay an extra person to do the labor in your shop, again instead of quitting your day job, try putting that money on a person or two to work for you, you may find it more productive and useful for your business, for you to do the sales, marketing and accounting instead of you doing the labor part. Don't worry about quality or quantity of work that other person would do that you would, because that would be your main responsibility, to have someone properly train and will work the same as you do. You keep 'em happy, they'll do it right if not better all the time. Now why did I say 16 - 20 hours is just about right? 10 hours of that will go to your day job (from preparation to returning home) depends on how far you are from work, then the rest of that would be for your business. I pretty much put emphasis on keeping the day job, because I feel that this is the most important thing for starting out the business (financial control). I know other people would be giving other tips in services or job techniques, but I hope this gives another twist on decision making when it comes to start or keep up on this business (or any other business). I have more to add but I hope this will start the discussion further. Goodluck!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.