T-Shirt Forums banner

Any Good Kit Recomendations

1067 Views 12 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Bugmeister
I am a newbie to all of this i don't have any equipment. Ill be making a few shirts from time to time nothing large scale. Ill probably make some window decals and possible a vinyl sign or two. ID like to stay at around 500 or under if possible.

Looking for Heat Press, Cutter and whatever else i need to start. or should i buy everything individually. Let me know your recommendations. Where im not doing large scale ive been looking at some of the all in 1 kits on amazon.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
48 views and none can offer any info
48 views and none can offer any info
Didn't offer any advice because I would recommend equipment that is out of your budget.

But here ya go.
Buy a quality heat press, you will have less issues. Plus they hold their value and are much more reliable. (You can buy used too)
Geo Knight and stahls hotronics are both great brands.

Buy a quality plotter for the same reasons above.
Graphtec, Roland, and Summa are the top brands for these.

A used Graphtec CE6000-60 goes for $1000 give or take a little $.
A used Geo Knight DK20 clam shell press goes for $400-$1200 depending on condition/age/options.

Now you see why I didn't reply after I read your post.
I am sure someone will give you some cheaper advice!
See less See more
Reactions: 1
For what little I am going to be doing spending 1000s on equipment isn't something I want to do
i'll add to AMW's advice and say look for hix heat-presses as well
AMW is right to suggest that buying quality used is better than junk new

check out what proworld offers and see if the have any deals on,
at least they are contributing members here who seem to care about their customers
Considering your budget and frequency of need, why not just pay somebody to do it? I'm not trying to be ugly by saying that. I'm just pointing out that from my perspective, it would seem much more cost-effective to do it that way.
The reason for that is because it may be something id do more of in the future, if that was the case i would then sell it and buy a better one. Basically i want to learn how to do different things and then in the future upgrade if its something i still have a need for and wish to continue I dont have the money now to go all out on 1000 dollar presses and cutters. I am going to start with a Cameo for a cutter. IF also checked classifieds there is no used equipment for sale anywhere around me
The reason for that is because it may be something id do more of in the future, if that was the case i would then sell it and buy a better one. Basically i want to learn how to do different things and then in the future upgrade if its something i still have a need for and wish to continue I dont have the money now to go all out on 1000 dollar presses and cutters. I am going to start with a Cameo for a cutter. IF also checked classifieds there is no used equipment for sale anywhere around me

Goto uscutter.com and get a titan 2 28" and its best for scrap cutting as well. Great precise and quiet cutter ,Ive been using mine for over 2 years and suggest it to everyone who wants to save money and not get a lower end unit but not an expensive one either, I use mine for making 4x8 signs,decals, and htv vinyl. If you have any questions or more info drop me a message.

Anyone that i have suggested to get this same cutter has been very happy they did. But this is my opinion lol. I will even suggest the software as well and help you get it going and how to use software i suggest to make it easier for you to learn.,You wont regret it ,,
if you cheap out you will be sorry trust me the heat presses on ebay/amazon do not heat evenly and getting the cheap uscutters break all the time. Just saw about 20 min ago in a group the guy needs a new board replaced and it is not covered. If you save your money and get the correct equipment you will never need to buy again. just think you starting out now and in 6 months either something breaks or you just out grown your hobby now you need to buy again Never Fails! I here it on a daily basis there is no need to jump in now and try to make $5. decals your not going to pay your rent that way. just save and get the correct equipment
Don’t get me wrong, there may be some used presses out there that are better than most, but the first thing to understand is you have no warranty and no technical support. If you want to have any success with any DTG device, you really need a good support and training program. For the first few months it is vital to have someone you can call to help you move forward and become successful.

Another thing to think about is the components. The components within a used heatpress might not be up to date with the newest technology and might result in additional complications. Earlier machines are a lot harder to maintain and have many maintenance requirements.
mikekaly,
again, they are not asking about dtg
we get it, you work for omniprint, please at least read what the poster is asking about

there are used presses that are over 25 years old and still working

the components are all the same, electrical current is transformed to heat

sure there may be bells and whistles added, like auto-open, timers, etc.
but to get the job done you need even, consistent heat
In many cases the older equipment is BETTER then new, older equipment is usually over built. They used heavy duty parts and were built to last. Many of the newer presses are just made in a way to be as cheap as they can get away with. The $0.10 part that they could make better but would cost them $0.20 ...well that might cost you a lost job as well as equipment downtime.
I have seen 3 cheap presses start large fires over the years.

Yes the warranty usually doesn't transfer...but I have bought many presses and NEVER have I needed to replace anything under warranty (We have bought both Geo Knight and Stahls presses new) .

I cant speak for the other company but from my experience George knight (geo knight) will answer support emails within hours (minutes in most cases) for their equipment. I have never been asked to prove we even own a press let alone bought it new. I have told other people to email them to ask a support question and they have always been answered.
I think you'll be hard pressed (pardon the pun) to get what you need for under $500 all in, and the risk you take with going for el cheapo stuff is you may wind up with a frustrating experience producing bad results. This alone could discourage you from doing anything else and just curse the money you spent to that point.

- Spend a little more and get equipment that will make the process easy and enjoyable rather than a battle.

- When buying a used heat press, take a thermal heat reader with you to confirm temperature consistency and accuracy.

- If trying to source used, be patient. There might not be equipment for sale around you today, but there will be tomorrow...or next week...or next month. It took me over a year to gather the various equipment I wanted but by being patient I saved a lot of money and have a decent setup to start.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.