T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I’m looking into starting a DTG business, after doing some research there are three DTG printers that got my attention, Omniprint’s Freejet 330tx plus, ColDesi’s M2 and Resolute’s (I think they merged with another company) R-jet 5.

I’m interested to know your experience with the suppliers (Omniprint, ColDesi, Resolute) and with their respective printers.

Cheers

·
Registered
47 Posts
I’m looking into starting a DTG business, after doing some research there are three DTG printers that got my attention, Omniprint’s Freejet 330tx plus, ColDesi’s M2 and Resolute’s (I think they merged with another company) R-jet 5.

I’m interested to know your experience with the suppliers (Omniprint, ColDesi, Resolute) and with their respective printers.

Answer

Hi, the Freejet is an entry-level machine based on older technology, Stahls now sells them here in Canada and its the only real option if you plan to print on poly as well as cotton shirts. I looked at it and it was only warrantied in the US, not sure if Stahl's warranties it here. The coldesi machine is very old technology as well, parts done the road may be hard and expensive to get.

You need to figure out how many shirts you will be printing a day, I print on average 10-50 shirts a day, depending on the logo size and color of the shirt. You will need to look at the complete package a good heat-press, or forced air conveyor oven, a pretreatment machine, and a good dtg.

I have a Polyprint Echo machine, and it uses Dupont ink and I like the brother but when I started adding dtg prints to my business I was only printing 1-10 shirts a day and some days it sat idle wet capping is a must for idle days.

If you plan to print more than 50 shirts a day, you may want to look at the Brother GTX as its speed will make you money. It also has a very good warranty. Some days I wish I had the brother just for the speed of it as my shirts take about 2 minutes for a white shirt, and 5 minutes for a black shirt. Get speed is about 45 seconds for white and under 2 minutes for a black shirt.

Look at how many people are successful with the printers, Freejet lovers swear by them but they are slower than mine and definitely slower than the brother. But quality is good on both.

Brother machines also have some options like printing on shoes, and hats, an optional camera system for placement and Barcoding option for scanning jobs and importing images into the machine. My machine also has this option.

Do your homework and it will pay off.

Frank

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Frank,

Thank you for your reply.

I did look into Brother and also Epson, they both seem to be great machines, reliable, low maintenance, great customer support, but the high ink costs and the fact that they use cartridges discouraged me a bit, that’s why I end up searching for machines with bulk ink system. What are your thoughts on that?

This is the first time I hear about Polyprint Echo, I did a quick research and it looks like a fine machine too, I’ll definitely dig more into it, what can you tell me about it based on your experience?

Cheers,
Ilan

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Frank,

Thank you for your reply.

I did look into Brother and also Epson, they both seem to be great machines, reliable, low maintenance, great customer support, but the high ink costs and the fact that they use cartridges discouraged me a bit, that’s why I end up searching for machines with bulk ink system. What are your thoughts on that?

This is the first time I hear about Polyprint Echo, I did a quick research and it looks like a fine machine too, I’ll dig more into it, what can you tell me about it based on your experience?

Cheers,
Ilan

If you're from BC, Willox sells the polyprint machines, RB Digitial Sells the brother machines. Stahls Canada sells Omniprint machines. The polyprint machine great quality about half the speed of the brother. Sometimes I think I should have got the brother machine. As its quite a bit faster, but it cost 10k more than what I wanted to spend and I was scared of the ink cost. Now that I am getting busier with the DTG I sometimes kick myself not getting the brother.

I sell custom DTG shirts for $25 each, pretreat cost about $.75 to $1.25 a shirt, shirts are about 2.83-5.99 for darks shirts, ink for most designs range from 1.50 to 2.90. Profit on each shirt ranges from. Do the math making 15 pts a shirt. with my machine, I can print about 10 to 15 an hour depending on the size of the shirt, a brother machine would cost about 1.00 or so more in ink but it can print twice as fast as mine. If you can print more an hour it will save money, my printer prints white.. than has to go back in and print color, taking about 3-5 minutes per print. The brother prints white and color in the same pass. most prints between 2-3 minutes per print maybe even faster so you can do 25-40 shirts and an hour.

Having more than 1 heat press also helps speed up the process.

Having a pretreatment machine is the only way to go, doing by hand is very inconsistent.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts