T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im pretty new I started here a few days ago on the forums but Ive been interested In Making and printing Clothing For a while now.

I am researching constantly!
I Have A name and plenty of designs that will last me For awhile and Im constantly thinking of new ones.

A big problem is im only 16 so Im guessing im going to have to wait to get a wholesale license and other Priority things like that.
But I still want to get printing as soon as possible because I know starting in highschool would be a major PLUS!

I already know what shirts I want, I even know what jackets I want to print on.

But Like I said My age is kind of a problem.

I also Need a little bit of direction too Im trying to start small and just sell shirts to People at my school...something local like selling at Concerts in my town small shows etc.

I guess im also lacking in the business part of the whole thing and would be happy to hear even the smallest advice or information ANYONE has to give to me.

So feel free to tell me anything that could help.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Re: Anything Helps!

What are you waiting for!! HAHA... Your never to young to start chasing your dream kiddo and stick with it till you acomplish it my son is just 8 years old and is already putting his drawings on t-shirts.

About the buisness license or resale license have one of your parents support you on that till you turn 18.

Also if you have your designs already ready you can use a fullfillment service like CafePress: Unique, custom t-shirts & gifts to express yourself or Zazzle custom t-shirts and more, create or shop for unique designs shipped in 24 hours they take care of the printing part and shipping and you get a percentage , you just upload your designs to one of there templates and booya you now have a store. Make sure you talk to your parents about what your goals are and what your going to be doing. Goodluck

·
Registered
52 Posts

DO NOT use cafe press or those type of sites. that sets you off as a low quality wannabe clothing line. at least thats the way i see it. i would never buy anything off sites like that.
You are not to young. i'm 16 as well. i don't have my own clothing line, but ive been printing shirts for the past 2 years at a local shop. Before you go and blow a ton of money printing your shirts, you better be sure your designs will sell. i can't tell you how many times people have come ordered shirts through me thinking they're gonna sell them, and they never come back for more. you need to start with one or two really good designs, and if those sell, print more.
a great resource is emptees. there are a ton of amazing designers there. you can get feedback from some of the best in the business.
my biggest piece of advice is don't rush it. start small, and go with quality products. don't buy crappy shirts, and don't use a crappy printing service. find a good printer, or get your own screen printing stuff.(but thats expensive)
good luck.

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts

DO NOT use cafe press or those type of sites. that sets you off as a low quality wannabe clothing line. at least thats the way i see it. i would never buy anything off sites like that.
Although you wouldn't buy anything from those sites, many customers would and do everyday, so I wouldn't totally rule out those opportunities.

I agree though, that your age really shouldn't hold you back. There are many 16 year olds (and younger) running successful businesses online.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yep, there are plenty of younger folks making money on more than just shirts everyday.

Just get focused, write everything down that you want to do, your goals and how you attempt to realistically achieve them, a marketing strategy, some cost analysis, cost vs quality (gildan vs aa), a budget system, a bank account, etc. In other words, make a THOUGHT OUT & REALISTIC PLAN.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
You are my favorite kind of member here. It is great seeing someone not sitting on a couch playing video games all day. If you need help this site and the people on it are here to back you up. Don't let age get in your way... You may have to ask your parents to help in terms of buying and license but it doable.. GO FOR IT!!!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hi. Print up a few designs onto paper and show them around to people at school. If they like them enough to buy, then print then up onto shirts and sell them. You can do this with simple iron on transfers to start off with. Invest every cent you make, back into the business and start saving up for more equipment and more stock. Buy your parents good birthday and Xmas presents to keep them sweet, as you fill their home with stock.

Good luck with it all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My suggestion is to work with someone who is already in the business. Most of us know there is plenty of room for everyone so we're willing to show a new kid the ropes. Spend 6 months to a year learning all you can from someone who is paying the bills and go from there.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I want to add one thing. Don't give away any samples.If you give to a buddy, all your other buddies will want a freebie too.This can be costly. I suggest you explain you have to pay for them and you need to sale them to cover cost. i'm going to say one more thing"PROFIT IS NOT A DIRTY WORD". Good luck ..... JB

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Dear MonsterFace,

There are quite a few 16 year olds on this site. I've met a good handful of go-getters like yourself. Here is some great news for you that another teen and I were able to discover for him: In some states, there is NO age requirement for your business license. Feel free to go to your states business website and find out what you need. You may be in for a nice surprise.

Second, you have to find out if your state charges sales tax on clothing. You will need to file your sales tax if they do. You do not want to start out business by getting in trouble with the tax man, ever. It only costs more later if they have to come find you. You are young, and should keep yourself clean and free of getting into trouble and debt with the IRS or your state.

Third, please use the time you have before you graduate to learn the basics of accounting and money. If you do not understand money, and how to handle your operating costs, you will not last in business. Unknowingly, you could bankrupt your company buy operating at too low of a profit to stay in business.

Fourth, here is the best contact I can give you. It is a link to your local small business development center. They will give you pamplets, books, mine gave me bookkeeping software for my biz, they will help you learn about marketing, operating your business, how to file your sales tax online, website help... the list goes on. Here is the link, find out if you are old enough for the services now, if not, make sure to go back to them when you are old enough:
Small Business Administration - sbdc_locator_map

Next, this link is to a bunch of free online courses from the SBA. This page is loaded with information that will help you become aware of what you need to learn to operate and be in business. The courses average 30 minutes each, so they are not to long to get thru or bore you to tears, lol:
Small Business Administration

Last, wear your own designs every chance you get. Folks will tell you what they like. Do you have a way to print your designs?

Okay, good luck to you, and you are so smart to start grooming your business now, so when you are free to devote yourself full time, you've got the foundation in place.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Hey, MonsterFace - Good for you - I hope you sell a million shirts (just before you sell another million, lol.)

Two things - to follow-up on what JB said - make sure that you can say, "No." Believe it or not, there will be people who will try to take advantage of you.

Also, it will take Patience and Tenacity to make it happen. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
One other thing - look into business plan competitions, government grants, etc. etc. There are often schemes aimed at helping young people start a business. They're normally aimed at 25 and under, but I'm pretty sure I've heard of one or two that were even aimed at 18 and under.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I totally agree with Kelly about checking out the local Small Business Development Center. One thing they can assist you with is writing a business plan -- including detailed market research and financial projections. You may think you don't need such a detailed plan for what you have in mind, but that's not really the point. The things you will learn in the process will allow you to evaluate opportunities as they arise throughout your life. And that is an incredibly valuable skill that few people have.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im actually reading A book Call The ABC's to writing a winning business plan .

Its from the rich dad poor dad series and its helpful but alot of it Im having to reread because I dont get it at first.

Robert Kiyosaki anyone? Major real estate tycoon?

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Hey Monster,

The tutorial I checked out on the SBA site of tutorials was writing the business plan. It was very good. Maybe it would help to watch that, too, and it might help make some of the stuff in the book make more sense. Ya never know, and the tut is short enough to watch during a reading break. It's a nice narrated slide show. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Monster,

The tutorial I checked out on the SBA site of tutorials was writing the business plan. It was very good. Maybe it would help to watch that, too, and it might help make some of the stuff in the book make more sense. Ya never know, and the tut is short enough to watch during a reading break. It's a nice narrated slide show. :)
No I definately will look at everything you gave me I just havent had much free time but I definitely will I Promise:D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts