T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered samples from Jiffyshirts of anvil 980's in multiple sizes in black and white. They are different:

1. whites = permanent tags and sideseamed.
2. blacks = Tearaway tags and no sideseams.

I called Anvil and they said they are transitioning all shirts to Tearaways, but all the 980's SHOULD have sideseams.

Anyone run into this, and if so, does it extend to other colors? I've sent an email to Jiffyshirts as well but haven't received a response.

Thanks!

·
Registered
698 Posts
This is actually a pretty normal occurrence in the industry, especially with major manufacturers who produce in different countries all over the world. Even American Apparel does this sometimes and they have one manufacturing facility in the US. Shirts with side seams are typically sewn from flat fabric while shirts without side seams are sewn from tubular fabrics. I think manufacturers use whatever is least expensive for the production process which varies in different locations.

·
Registered
698 Posts
No prob man... Some suppliers will work with you more than others. You may be able to call the supplier and make special requests like "all without side seams" or "all with side seams."

I thought about the tear away label thing too more. When companies switch their labels, in this case from woven to tear away, they will make the switch once and usually permanently, but they still have existing stock to sell through and a good FIFO (first in first out) program will ensure the woven labels clear out first... I know Anvil told you all were tear away, but since you bought from a distributor, there is one more warehouse that would have to work through their inventory of woven labeled shirts, and if they have a poor FIFO program or low volume or something who knows how many woven labels are sitting on their warehouse floor. Anvil may have been producing only tear away labels for months when the distributor is still sitting on some old woven label items...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.