Im hot to get going.

As I said on another thread I need to learn about the commerce end
of this. The worth of a hosted site, the fufillment services vs doing
it (after much learning) myself. I think I would want to focus on the
design, at first anyway, and let others take a slice for handling
the details. I always remember reading that it was the people selling
the tents and shovels and picks that made the lasting money from
the gold rush 150 years ago.

I might strike a rich vein with my illustrated shirts - thats the goal.

Does anyone just buy the graphic designs ?

Glen

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Well, I will be launching my website soon and could possibly pay you a percentage of the profits for doing the designs alone (It is one thing I've been planning as a possibility from the start). Depending on the designs and other factors, of course, but you can email me at twinge{at}gmail[dot]com if you want to discuss it futher.

If you choose to do it yourself, you'll need to do a lot of research and have some capital to start with. You'll need to buy equipment (From heat presses costing around $1000 to a full screen printing set up which could cost several thousand), find whilesalers, get a tax license, etc. It can be worth it, but it is a lot of work.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Hi Glen,

Welcome to the T-Shirt Forums! If you prefer focusing on your art, it may be worth it to use one of the several "T-Shirt Fulfillment" companies that do all the backend stuff for you. They do the printing, warehousing, ecommerce, customer service, shipping, web hosting for you. That just leaves you to come up with great t-shirt designs and advertising the storefront they put together for you.

If that takes off, you can always research ways to move beyond it, but it's a great way to start. Some of them like CafePress or SpreadShirt don't even any overhead to get started.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rodney,Kirsty & Twinge,
Thanks for the response and welcome. I did look at cafepress.com and it looks pretty
straight forward. Too easy almost, but as you indicate its stripped of all but the
graphics. I have been doing cartoons for publications (local newspapers) and using
graphics software to help with that so I should be able to handle that end.

Twinge - give me a little time to put up something at Cafe which you can judge and
then we might do something. As you have concepts start collecting them.

Thanks, Glen

·
Registered
7 Posts
zebratron said:
I have had the idea of selling shirts on the web for a while...Now this story on the front page of the WSJ wakes me up and Im hot to get going.
I read that article too and had about the same reaction: got off my butt and opened a t-shirt store. Now that I'm part of the competition, I hope cafepress (and any other way-too-easy-to-start-t-shirt-selling-service) falls off the media radar...;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts