T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Pigment & Dye inks are used to print on cotton or cotton/poly blends. Sublimation inks must be used on 100% poly shirts for best results. You can use them on 50/50 but they have a washed out look due to the 50% cotton. The pigment & dye inks are used with inkjet heat transfer papers and the sublimation inks require a sublimation heat transfer paper.

The Epson 1400 comes standard with a dye based ink (Claria) which is "water resistent" as opposed to pigment inks which are waterproof and seem to work well with the popular JetPro Softstretch inkjet heat transfer (for lights) where usually it was preferred to use pigment inks. Some printer models (Epson C88 for example) come with pigment inks...just depends on the printer model.

You can purchase 3rd party bulk ink systems or ink cartridges, for the 1400, that contain pigment inks or sublimation inks. Sublimation inks are much more expensive than both pigment & dye inks but the paper is much cheaper.

Hope that helps....

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hi Adam. You can only use sublimation ink for sublimation printing. Standard inkjet ink, whether it be pigment or dye based will not work.

Unlike most other inks, sublimation ink undergoes a chemical process when heat and pressure is applied. It is this chemical process that allows the ink to sublimate (get absorbed) into the substrate.

·
Registered
49 Posts
my heat press temperature can only go up to 250c is the heat go for t shirt print and mag using sublimation paper. also what is the best setting to use with this temperature. can someone pls help

regards

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Wola, for sublimation you need 200 C (which equals about 400 F).

You will need to experiment with your settings a little to achieve the best results for your set up. I'd suggest to get some swatches of different fabrics and do some printing on them. For some fabrics to avoid shine or scorching you will need to drop temperature to 190-195 C and increase dwell time (pressing time ) a little. For other fabrics temperature should be 200 C, but pressing time shorter. Generally, light to medium pressure is recommended. Your supplier of blanks should be able to give you pressing instructions for particular substrates you are using.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi guys

Can someone help me on this. I got a Sublimation Ink, and it works will on mugs but the problem am have its on t shirt. The ink comes off the t shirt after the first wash. Now am not sure if it’s the ink or the t shirt am using. Is anyone having the same problem as me? I want to know how to make this work on t shirt because the ink cost me over £250
the t shirt am using is Fruit of the Loom and it white in colour

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
you are using a cotton tee shirt and sublimation will NOT work on cotton..it will wash out...remember sublimation process turns the ink into a gas which is pressed into the 100% polyester garment where it actually becomes part of the garment because it bonds with the fiber. So you must use white/light pastel 100%polyester ONLY.. the reason you are having good results with the mugs is that the sublimation mugs have a polymer coating...
So on material ...must be 100% polyester
on hard goods...the surface must have a polymer coating...if not the image on that will also wash off

1 - 9 of 9 Posts