T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry everyone....but im new to heat pressing....
I bought a 15x5 heat press....
a epson c88 printer
external bulk ink system

and I have a HP inkjet printer also
a lap top , and home computer
6 color four pallet press
flash dryer
exposer unit
etc........and been screen printing a while....

I reaserched and thought the epson would be ok..........for now...
But am very confused about inks i've read every thread so far.........
I was thinking of using the HP for injet prints but heard they bleed in the wash.....would it be possible to use this type of ink with different type of trasfer paper.......? Or do they make a good ink for the HP

and the epson....Sumbliminol ink or pigment ink ,or inkjet..........?????

I was hoping to use my HP for shirts and epson for subliminol.....
Im just going to do shirts mouse pads and sweats jackets..etc....

was hoping someone could lead me in the right direction on what do with my equip...............

I wanted to save my customers with small orders ........and have fun making cool stuff for me.........

Will be printing Alot on mouse pads and 100% cotten shirts........

or any suggestions would help! thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
extreme-prints said:
I was thinking of using the HP for injet prints but heard they bleed in the wash.....would it be possible to use this type of ink with different type of trasfer paper.......?
The bleeding is because of the dye inks, and will occur whatever paper you use.

extreme-prints said:
Or do they make a good ink for the HP
They did recently start making a pigment ink (Vivera). The people who've used it seem to like it but there's been very little feedback on it (Epson is much more established, so there's not a lot of people using the HP for heat press).

extreme-prints said:
and the epson....Sumbliminol ink or pigment ink ,or inkjet..........?????
Sublimation ink if you're going to be using polyester, pigment ink if you're not.

extreme-prints said:
I was hoping to use my HP for shirts and epson for subliminol.....
Good idea. Look into the HP pigment ink, or alternatively you can always pick up a cheap Epson and have one of each.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah maybe i will just get another c88.....and use one for each.......one pigment and one sub........thanks....

im just so overwhelmed by getting all this stuff out of my house and actually opening a small shop.........

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I also have an HP that I bought a few weeks prior to deciding I was going to do this heat transfer thing so I tried desperately to make it work so that I wouldn't have to go out and buy an Epson.

After a lot of poking around the HP website, I found that HP only makes Vivera pigment inks for their very top-of-the-line professional quality photo printer. The Vivera inks that come with any other HP printer are NOT pigment inks. So as far as I can tell, there are two types of Vivera - one pigment and one dye-based.

Several people here have said they thought the black Vivera is pigment ink but I couldn't find any information on that, and from what I could tell of the transfers I printed with my HP, the black bled just like the other colors.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I may have misspoken when I said that HP *only* makes the Vivera pigment ink for their high-end printer, because you can probably buy it and put it in your own HP. What I meant to say is that when you purchase a new (not top-of-the-line) HP it comes with the dye-based inks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the h p I have is a photo printer scanner copier..........it makes really good photo prints and thats why I was thinking to do this printer for the shirts so I could offer nice prints on products......im goig to check it out more when I come home.........I already own the hp and bought a epson..........gonna buy one more never trie it though..............its hard working a full time job, gettting this started, being a newlywed,and having a baby soon..................

talk about a great juggling act LOL

·
Registered
506 Posts
Based on this info I copied from HP website it appears Vivera inks are all dye based.

"Get deep, vibrant color that resists fading for up to a century on some printers*
Proprietary dyes help ensure that HP Vivera Inks deliver exceptional light fade resistance while maintaining a large color gamut. The use of dyes, rather than pigments, also enables HP Vivera Inks to provide an exceptionally smooth, uniformly high-gloss finish on glossy photo papers."

·
Registered
18 Posts
Some of this discussion on ink is specific to certain situations. Does anybody know a good site for basic information regarding inks and papers for the transfer process? I want to know whick products are the best and most durable. I don't want to bore everybody with very basic questions. Thanks!

·
Registered
68 Posts
extreme-prints said:
the h p I have is a photo printer scanner copier..........it makes really good photo prints and thats why I was thinking to do this printer for the shirts so I could offer nice prints on products.
Forget the HP. Your prints will fade (quite bady) in the first wash. I've tested both the HP (with the Vivera), and the Epsons, and the Epson is the call without a doubt.

.....im goig to check it out more when I come home.........I already own the hp and bought a epson..........gonna buy one more never trie it though..............its hard working a full time job, gettting this started, being a newlywed,and having a baby soon..................

talk about a great juggling act LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts