T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well. I'm looking to upgrade my small operation and would love some input from you fine folks about a press upgrade.

Looking mainly at this Vastex (https://www.totalinksolutions.com/vastex-v-1000-series-4-station-6-color.html) and this baseless number from Ryonet (https://www.screenprinting.com/products/riley-hopkins-jr-screen-printing-press-6-color-4-station).

They seem to do about the same thing, give or take a thousand important dollars.

I've been printing on a 20+ year old Riley Hopkins 4/4 as a side hustle for about five years now. Today I gave notice at my office job of 10+ years to follow my heart and print full time. Having gradually established a decent client base over the years it shouldn't be too bumpy a transition, but I'm counting on jumping outta my goddamn skin about that decision at least hourly for quite some time to come.

My existing press is a huge headache to register multi-color jobs on, so I'm used to referring complicated requests with tight registration to another local shop. Because of this I don't have a ton of experience with 3+ color prints, but am over the moon stoked to finally have the time to git gud at that. I've seen a variety of takes on micro-registration on this sub. Some folks swear by it, others never use it and shrug it off as a waste of money. Trying to gauge it's value and see if it's something I'd need.

Also, the six heads may be overkill. That fifth head for an underbase would be great to offer 4 color prints on black tees, but most of the stuff the folks in my existing circle seem to want are like 2 colors tops.

Should I just get a better 4/4 with micros or go on down to bananas town with something like that 6/4 Vastex?

Thanks folks.

· Registered
4,694 Posts
Hi (I'm in Portland, too).

I have a 4/4 Vastex 2000 and love the thing to death. My first press was a 4/1 Ryonet Silver press. It was fine for a hobby/learning press. But then I actually started selling shirts ... and my best seller was a 3-color design, and I quickly grew tired of the time it took to register 3 screens, and having to call not-quite-right close enough.

That said, like you, I don't actually seem to need 4 colors. Most of my designs are single color, with maybe 10 - 15% 2 color. I don't think I have any active 3 color designs anymore. But I'm printing and selling my own designs. If you are looking to print for customers, it will depend upon your customers. Note, with opaque inks (like Permaset Aqua SuperColor), you don't need to underbase on dark shirts (there are Plastisol opaques too, but I don't know the names off the top of my head).

I got my press and flash from these guys, and was happy with the price and service (two different transactions):
https://www.advancedscreenprintsupply.com/screen_printing_press.htm

If at all possible, get your hands on the presses in question before buying. I'm not sure how similar the current V1000 is to my V2000, but you are welcome to checkout my press if you think that would be of help.

Enjoy

Oh, and congratulations. I never got to the point of handing in my notice, 'cause they laid off the lot of us before I was to that point :p

· Registered
195 Posts
From what you say about your operation, I gather your equipment is at it's initial stages. I have been there.

If I was at that stage again, I would invest in that Vastex 6/4.
A person can do tons of business using that machine. Being able to do the close registration on multiple colors is going to be way easier than your old Hopkins.

My initial printer was the old blue Hopkins 4/4 using wooden pallets. The pallets would warp a little at a certain point and in the middle of printing I would discover a bit of a shadowing on a simple flash and print white ink on a black shirt...for example. Very frustrating. Nowadays I cannot even stand the thought of using any kind of wood platen.

If you have a certain desire to keep using Hopkins, I would not get the table top. I would invest in the new Riley 300 6/4 which comes with the aluminum platens. I just got a new Riley Hopkins 300 6/6 this year and I am so happy. I print hundreds of garments with it each week and the registration is tight. I would imagine the Vastex V1000 6/4 to be a very similar experience.

I could go on and on about my equipment, but, I just want to share how happy I am with my equipment these days.

My choice would be to stay away from the table top version, unless, you were just strickly at the hobby end of screen printing. But, if you are planning to make a decent living with your screen printing, you will be so glad you got that V1000 or a Riley Hopkins 300.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for the input! Sounds like you had a very similar press to mine. I haven't done enough flashing on-press to warp the wooden platens yet, but it would probably just be a matter of time. I'm still not totally sure what the difference is between Ryonet's tabletop 6/4 and the way more expensive ones with legs, but I'm leaning toward a Vastex at this point anyway.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response @NoXid! I've reached out to Vastex about what the difference is between their 1000 and 2000 presses. I'm not really getting it from the brochure I was given. And thank you for the kind offer to check out your press, I would love to! I haven't seen a Vastex in person yet and that sounds like a huge help with my decision.

· Registered
4,694 Posts
Thanks for the response @NoXid! I've reached out to Vastex about what the difference is between their 1000 and 2000 presses. I'm not really getting it from the brochure I was given. And thank you for the kind offer to check out your press, I would love to! I haven't seen a Vastex in person yet and that sounds like a huge help with my decision.
Besides being built like a tank, the 2000 line has knobs for some adjustments that are still bolts requiring a wrench on the 1000. Besides the brochure, you can download the user manual--I think that might do a better job of showing the controls.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.