T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a brand new silk screener.
We raise money for children with cancer by holding a Motorcycle poker run every October.
This year we were donated the YUDU...but found that it was lacking...even though I am still attempting to use it....well Ryonet donated to us $400 worth of silk screening equipt to help us out with this years event.
I will be attempting to make my own table type clamp on screen press so I do not have to use the YUDO.
Looking for tips and ideas on this forum for all aspects of printing. I can burn my screens pretty good now....got to start somewhere...why not by attempting to make 150 charity event shirts.....I accept the challenge.
Thank you for reading ...and nice to meet you all

Ride For Life Vegas 2010

· Registered
7,155 Posts
Good for you RFLV, glad to see you giving back to the community. What kind of shirt are you looking for.

How about this challenge to everyone that reads this post. Everyone send RideForLiveVegas one or two t-shirts for free as a donation. Let's make this a T-shirt Forum Challenge for all the little kids out there.

I've been dealing with a life time of Lupus and the next generation with my family.

I have some white or navy blue available. PM me your address. Whats the deadline?

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are You Serious.....????....I am just a biker that wants to help those in need.....I am sure I cannot post our myspace proving what I say is true....But I will attempt to.....my ....um space ...dot com /rockforlifevegas
yes we do rides and bands to help children with cancer.

Please google Ride For LIfe Vegas 2010....for verification

I did a screen tonight....but emusion is wearing off during my silk screening....did I attempt to print a shirt before the emulsion was " cured" ?? or dry

· Registered
43 Posts
Count us at PanZOu in for some shirts - we have some white we can send...

Or if you need anything, just ask - although we are pretty new too so I am sure most everyone here has more experience. I spend a little time everyday researching this forum - good people!!

Also SanMar will donate if you have an account with them - I am not sure how far in advance you must request though.

We are also in the business of saving kids - we are a non profit agency doing gang prevention and intervention in Miami. We opened our shop to be able give jobs to transitioning homeboys/girls and also generate money for our programs.

In solidarity,
Laura

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I left a message on your phone today.
The Event is Oct 23, 2010
That would be wonderful if you could donate some shirts. Thank you so much.
Also I just created a login at SanMar
SanMar denied me a login though since I am not a licensed silk screen business

· Registered
7,155 Posts
Two things: 1) become a Licensed business. It's easy and shouldn't cost you anything up front. You might have to collect taxes from clothing produced depending on your state.

2) Do you need a specific color? Two others mentioned white t-shirts. I have a few of those.

Let us know what problems you have with your screen printing process.

· Registered
22 Posts
I can donate a couple blank shirts to the cause. I have a few white women's shirts hanging around.

I'm still totally new to the silkscreen thing. I just made my first clean print today. I'd love to get to the point where I can just screen a shirt on demand -- right now I'm still hand-drawing each design in paint on each shirt since it's more reliable than my printing. But eventually I'll transition to screening... if I ever have demand....

What didn't you like about the yudu? I've been thinking of asking for one for X-mas...
--Natasha

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can donate a couple blank shirts to the cause. I have a few white women's shirts hanging around.

I'm still totally new to the silkscreen thing. I just made my first clean print today. I'd love to get to the point where I can just screen a shirt on demand -- right now I'm still hand-drawing each design in paint on each shirt since it's more reliable than my printing. But eventually I'll transition to screening... if I ever have demand....

What didn't you like about the yudu? I've been thinking of asking for one for X-mas...
--Natasha
Thank you for wanting to donate some shirts I will PM you our mailing address.

What I do not like about the YUDU is the screens are not tight at all...screens are expensive...their YUDOU emulsion is expensive...the Platen is a pain in the butt...unless you slip the shirt over like a real silk screen press....and the burning table is good and fast...just a bit small.
So if you want the YDU you still want to use real emulsion and other real supplies....get more for your money

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Trust me u will spend more time and aggravation building ur own. Spend th $300.00 or so on the hobby kit. ;)
That image above..... I already have all those items all over my garage...even the hand knob bolts.

I have the angle iron ,..channel iron,...nuts washers..hinges...and access to a welder....
I am a jet engine mechanic for my day job.

This item above would be an easy freebie build...and I will be creating the off contact etc.

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Ok I have a new issue...First let me tell you that a group of elderly women are donating several quilts they sew for the event to raffle...also they are donating one for this years child with her name on it etc and they wanted me to provide some prints of our donators......cool.
So I bought black material at Joann Fabrics...put emulsion on my screen,,,,,,,let it dray for 3 days in the dark........tonight I burned the image on the screen......... let it dry with a fan still in the dark....flat side down for hours......and started screen printing the fabric.

All was going good ...I did 16 each 8 x 8 images on the fabric and 4 each on scap t-shirts......into about the 14th print on black I started to notice that my emulsion was pulling off the screen and was actually on the t-shirt...I looked at the screen and I saw one of my donator logos was loosing emulsion....it was small amount....but I continued the last of the items anyways..

So I decided I was done for this session and I took the screen ( at this monemt I still use a YUDO screen with emulsion from Ryonet....) anyways so I then took the white inked up screen to the bath tub ...turned on cold water to wash out the white ink.......well it washed out more than half my emulsion and it was not a high pressure cold water.

I was drying the printed ink on the platen ......do you think I was printing the next fabric before the platen was cool enough..

If I have to learn the hard way ...wel then so be it ....But what do you think I did wrong....serious half the emulsion washed off...oh by the way ...I only applied emulsion to the "shirt side ...and this was the red sheets of wettable emulsion ...I do have a pint of liquid emulsion still not used...I just have to put the photo chemical in it...Ryonet donated to me a 10" applicator and a 16 " ...liquid emulsion and sheets.
So ideas of what I did wrong?

Thank you

· Registered
38 Posts
Hey Greg. Welcome to the forum and to the business of screen printing. I noticed that you tried calling SanMar to see about a donation. Have you tried calling Carolina Made. They are a supplier that is near our distribution warehouse. Their number is 1-800-222-1409. You might have some luck there. I look forward to your newbie questions. Good luck with that charity job.

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Greg. Welcome to the forum and to the business of screen printing. I noticed that you tried calling SanMar to see about a donation. Have you tried calling Carolina Made. They are a supplier that is near our distribution warehouse. Their number is 1-800-222-1409. You might have some luck there. I look forward to your newbie questions. Good luck with that charity job.
Thank you ...I will copy and paste that info to my notes so I do not lose it.
Thank you very much.
Should I give a reference as in who sent me to them?

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
So ideas of what I did wrong?

Thank you
I forgot to add a step I was doing prior to the emulsion coming off.........after staring at this screen that is now 3/4 of emulsion for images gone......I realized something....

Above the 8 x 8 company donation logos ...I put our logo and a bike builders logo above it ....so I did not have to make another screen for our personal shirts later.

I taped those top two images off since they were not to be on the "quilt" that the kind elderly women are sewing for us.

Well.... all areas I had taped off ...(as in not to be printed) are still intact as far as emulsion on the screen.

Got me thinking ....why only my 8 x 8 that I was printing on was falling off ...and washed out with just water?????

Well thinking back....about that 14th screen....... my ink was getting thick .......and hard to flood the screen,.....I flooded the screen best I could....... sprayed some water on the white ink............ and flodded it again...then continued to print the fabrics....

I am thinking it was the spray bottle of water...... I thin the ink out for easy squeegeeing.....I bet that screwed me ...and the fact of the heat on the Platen....But I am trial and error at this point of my screening talents.

I use Ryonet opaque white 301 rc ....enviro ink....it was donated from Ryonet

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.