T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I search for blank tee's to get started for my heat press transfers I noticed there are a ton of different shirts.

Some are 100% cotton while others are 50/50. Yet some t shirts are 6 oz.
What are the advantages of going with 100% cotton over 50/50?
Why would I choose a 6oz shirt over a 4oz shirt?
Does a heavier shirt just have a nicer feel to it and last longer through multiple machine washes?

I am totally new to this stuff and starting from the ground up and I appreciate any help with this. Everyone has been extremely helpful and kind here.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
For me it depends on what my customers want. For wearing I personally like a lighter shirt so a 6 oz would be a bit heavy for me but I prefer 100 cotton vs 50/50 but that's just my preference. Most of my typical customers that are not picky use my house shirt for printing which is the Gildan G200 which is 6.1oz. The picky customers I just source whatever tee they asks for and keep it moving.

As for the weight of the shirt, the heavier the weight, the thicker and heavier the shirt will be. I really can't think of any other way to explain it. Maybe someone else will chime in with an answer.

As for washability, even though many are pre-shrunk, I still find that the 100% cotton will still have a small amount of shrinkage. As for which one will last the longest, I feel can't really be determined as it would greatly depend on how the customer cares for the garment, but under normal wear and tear I think they would both last about the same.JMO

Here are a couple threads to get you started that you can read. This questions has been asked and answered many times here. Use the search feature at the top of the page which I am sure you will find more threads on this topic which may also answer your questions.
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/screen-printing/t39595.html
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/screen-printing/t38522.html

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you that helped. In my search it appears it can go either way with cotton or 50/50. I will probably buy 5 of each shirt just to see how they each wear, feel, and decide from there. I am doing this for fun and not as a business.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You can probably just look through your closet, read the tags, and decide which YOU like the most, but wait why are you interested? Your own benefit? Personally I like a super lightweight triblend or 50/50, although there are some nice 100%ers out there.
Don't forget that there are different thread counts for GSM for each size, some manufacturers will try to trick you by listing it as 140 gsm, but it willl shrink into youth's size when you wash it. Good idea to get samples...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just curiosity I guess. T shirts will be something my son and will do for fun. Well he can design and I will operate the heat press.

My dad has been hinting he wants his 69 z28 camaro on a t shirt for when he goes to shows and car cruises. So I should keep plenty busy.
I personally like a heavier shirt but they don't breath too well here in the summer, especially with all the outdoor activities I do.

I will take your suggestion and check the tags on my shirts. I don't know why I didn't think of that before.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.