T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What or how is everyone setting up their image options for the Anajet or MelcoJet? We have been trying to print but we do not seem to be able to get the designs to come out correctly. Here are some of the issues we have run into.

The image bleeds making the edges look more like a stain than a nice clean edge.

the white ink will just sit ontop of the shirt. It looks more like skin milk than ink.

the white underlay is not near bright enough to print ontop of.

i think my major issue may be the settings we are selecting to print such as Vivid, Graphic, dot size, passes, etc... anyone have a sugestion?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
It sounds like your pretreatment is not going on your shirts well. All of the white ink issues you are mentioning can be caused by this. What exactly is the method you use for pretreatment. If you list what you are doing maybe we can help :) As far as the color bleeding, this can be caused by a couple of things. The most likely is not having the platen close enough to the printhead. But anyways if you list the steps you are taking in hour pretreating I would be glad to try to help.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
What or how is everyone setting up their image options for the Anajet or MelcoJet?

the white ink will just sit ontop of the shirt. It looks more like skin milk than ink.

the white underlay is not near bright enough to print ontop of.

Thanks!
These two would seem to be mutually exclusive.

If the ink just pools on top it is because you are laying down to much. Step the resolution down a notch.

If the ink is not bright enough, it could be a couple of issues. Not enough pretreatment, to low of a resolution, or clogged nozzles in the head. Are you getting good nozzle checks?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
we use a gun for the pretreatment. that is another issue. It is staining hte shirts. i did a test and after the wash, you could see theedges of the pretreatment.

when i use the gun, i put it on pretty hard. the shirts is very wet.

I will see about moving up the table to see if that fixes the bleed issue.

what type of design do you guys use? AI, PNG, Tiff, etc...

What DPI do you try to stay at?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
You really need to list your entire pre treatment steps in order to get a proper diagnosis. The shirt should be damp, but not very wet. This can cause washability issues.

DPI depends on the image, but 150-200 is a good guideline. We use PSD, TIFF, PNG

What resolutions are you printing for each layer?

Hope we can help.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is what we do.

we save files at 200-300 DPI in PNG with no background.

ink Drop Medium
Ink Level 3
Color Vivid
Micro None

White underlayer settings:
White Drop: Medium
Level 2
Contrast 1

we do not print layer by layer unless you are referring to the white underlay and thenthe design itself. should we be printing the red, then come back and print the blue, then the purple, etc..

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
Yes I think Mark was talking about white layer and color layer resolution, not individual colors. As far as pretreatment. I will list the way I do it, because if your shirt is really wet then it will have the effect of the ink sitting on top of the shirt as the layer of pretreatment is too thick.

You can have to much pretreatment as well as too little. It really is a science to getting it right :)

When I pretreat first I lightly mist my shirt with distilled water, just so you see a light beading on the fabric. I then use my wagner sprayer and spray across both directions and up and down, pretty quickly, you should just see a light whiteness to the fabric. Then after I use a boar bristle paint brush and brush all the fibers in a down direction till every thing looks even. Then I press it at 325 degrees for about 15 seconds with quilon parchment paper on top, after that I remove the parchment and press for another 8 to 10 seconds and its ready to print.

The reason I first mist the shirt with distilled water is that it helps to not get staining of my pretreatment. From what you say above, it sounds like you are spraying to much pretreatment due to the staining you are getting and also the way you say your white ink is laying.

Also if you white ink is too heavy and pooling, this will also cause your colors to bleed. I would really suggest to experiment with different amounts of pretreatment till you get the magic formula :)

As far as your settings above, I am not sure about the anajet settings as mine are in real numbers as far as dpi/resolution. Does it say what resolution those settings refer to?

·
Registered
225 Posts
What to do if you have a clogged nozzles in the print head how do you know?
Print a nozzle check from the driver or the EKRIP. For checking CMYK place a piece of plain paper on the table. For white ink just print on the table itself.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
White settings look OK, but if you are getting bleeding and everything works well on a white shirt, you may back off on the level 3 to 2 on the color layer. For cartoony (Non photographic) art, 1 or 2 on the level is enough for medium. Also use the calibration block to make sure your platen is flat and the proper distance from the head. If all that seems OK you could always try unidirectional if you have really fine detail. If you're pooling still try smaller dot and higher level. Check the archives on pretreatment tips and put some time into perfecting this. Also, experiment by backing off on the white layer, and adding highlight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts