T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
There are plenty, but the other two similar companies that most often get mentioned here are Alternative Apparel (good shirts, link available in the navigation bar to your left - personally I recommend them over American Apparel), and Royal Apparel.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
They have pocket t-shirts in more colors than ash:
http://www.unionwear.com/ProductDetail.asp?item+code=10336-C

"Description: Short Sleeve Pocket T-Shirts 5.4 oz. 100% Cotton

Colors Available: Navy, Black, Red, Light Blue, Royal Blue, Kelly Green, Purple, Hunter Green, Olive Green, Gold, Banana, Goldenrod, Flourescent (Visual) Green. "

Trendyblanks is just selling american apparel garments.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They have pocket t-shirts in more colors than ash:
http://www.unionwear.com/ProductDeta...m+code=10336-C

"Description: Short Sleeve Pocket T-Shirts 5.4 oz. 100% Cotton

Colors Available: Navy, Black, Red, Light Blue, Royal Blue, Kelly Green, Purple, Hunter Green, Olive Green, Gold, Banana, Goldenrod, Flourescent (Visual) Green. "
Sorry. I didn't look close enough. Thanks for pointing that out for me.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
No problem. The site was a bit confusing. The only reason I noticed it was because I almost sent that link the first time, but I didn't think you were looking for pocket tees.

Not sure why they have a separate link for ash and then one for the other colors.

Best of luck with your project!

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
American made shirts are more expensive than the foreign made ones.
Yep, that's the little catch22 about "buying american" :)

If it's one of your selling points though, I've noticed that users have been willing to pay more.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll just have to do a test run. See, if it makes the sale. If I make it very clear that they are American made it may help sell them. For someone that is in a union, it would make it a reason to buy. I'm telling you these guys drink only union brewed beer, drive american made cars, etc. So, you said that users are willing to pay more? Where did you read that? Or how do you know that?

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
I've noticed it just from the prices that are set on garments that are labeled as "Made in the USA" and my own sales of designs printed on AmericanApparel garments.

Others here have noted it as well. I wouldn't be surprised if there was an article about it. Not only "Made in the USA", but any garment that supports a cause (like the "sweatshop free" description that is added to some garment brands).

Like you said, the guys you're printing for are die hard union guys, so if you tell them it costs a bit more, but the shirts are Made in the USA by fellow die hard union guys (in the case of unionwear), I wouldn't expect there would be any problem with the couple of extra dollars per shirt.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Or you could buy what you want and send them to a clothing lable shop and have your own lable put on instead of the one that came on it. The question of is it forein made probley would not come up. I'm not saying be deceptive but avoid the subject could be another approach. I have been considdering it for the future for our shirts but we dont advertize American made. I got a card from this place if you want to check it out.
http://clothinglabels4u.com

·
2,957 Posts
The problem with that is that the law states that the country of origin must be visible on the tag. And it is against the law to put a country origin on a shirt that is false.

From the FTC website:

Imported products made entirely abroad
A textile product made entirely abroad must be labeled with the name of the country where it was processed or manufactured. Importers and other marketers should check Customs regulations to determine the appropriate country of origin for products made entirely abroad.

Unqualified “Made in U.S.A.” labels
A label may say “Made in U.S.A.” only if the product is made completely in the U.S. of materials that were made in the U.S. If a U.S. manufacturer uses imported greige goods that are dyed, printed, and finished in the U.S., for example, they may not be labeled “Made in U.S.A.” without qualification.
Also:

In a garment with a neck, a label disclosing the country of origin (on the front) must be attached to the inside center of the neck — either midway between the shoulder seams or very near another label attached to the inside center of the neck. The fiber content and manufacturer or dealer identity can appear on the same label (front or back) or on another conspicuous and readily accessible label(s) on the inside or outside of the garment.

The country of origin label should not be covered or obscured by any other label.
As you can see, country of origin is very important. It must be clearly
displayed. So, even if she relabels, she has to tell where the shirt was made.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
revperrin said:
Or you could buy what you want and send them to a clothing lable shop and have your own lable put on instead of the one that came on it. The question of is it forein made probley would not come up. I'm not saying be deceptive but avoid the subject could be another approach.
As Comin'OutSwingin said, this would be illegal. Very clearly, blatantly illegal. Also devious and extremely ethically dubious.

It would also bury you in fines large enough to kill a lot of small businesses (fines of $50,000, $75,000, etc. have been handed out for doing this kind of thing).

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Can anyone in here recommend a foreign shirt supllier with the quality and look of A.A.?
Foreign as in what country? I know AmericanApparel has international offices as well, but there may be similar manufactures depending on where you are.

I know Continental Clothing is also international has similar styling.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts