T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All! I have selected one Orlando printer to begin working on our tshirt designs. The problem is that they can only handle a small design on the front of the shirt. I have a couple designs that require a larger press and a bit more graphics work.

I would love someone local. I am in Sarasota, FL, but Tampa, Orlando, Miami, Jax would be great! Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks!

The image at the top of the shirt is going to be 10x6 (approximately) and the bottom is 8x8 (appx). It is a flower image that I want to rest on the hemline at the bottom of the shirt, doesnt have to wrap, just give the impression, though if it could that would be even better.

THANKS!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hey Amanda,I'm in Englewood what color shirts will you be doing,We do DTG so there are no minimums and you get that soft feel also its easy to print over seams

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Amanda,I'm in Englewood what color shirts will you be doing,We do DTG so there are no minimums and you get that soft feel also its easy to print over seams
DTG? Is that Digital? We had a couple samples done that way and didn't like that. Or am I confused...

Mostly white, from Alternative Apparel.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Its direct to garment no screens great on white and lights your designs can be as many colors as you want.We use a Brother the color is excellent,no screen fees,no set up fees,14x16 print size max.The size you described is not large at all we also screen print,if you want we can make you a sample.

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
DTG? Is that Digital? We had a couple samples done that way and didn't like that. Or am I confused...
It depends on where you got your samples from. Different companies call their "digital" printing different things.

The samples you got could have been inkjet transfers or they could have been DTG.

Do you remember where you got the first samples? That might help us to figure out which printing method was used.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the one shirt needs two images...you would use 2 separate processes??? Wouldn't that look odd?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It depends on where you got your samples from. Different companies call their "digital" printing different things.

The samples you got could have been inkjet transfers or they could have been DTG.

Do you remember where you got the first samples? That might help us to figure out which printing method was used.
We got them done at a store in the mall. I just keep hearing Screen Printing is the best way to do a professional shirt. We are doing Alternative Apparel shirts - the nicest we could find since we are selling to boutiques (we hope). Not just one logo in the middle of the chest, you know?

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
Well the one shirt needs two images...you would use 2 separate processes??? Wouldn't that look odd?
I'm not sure where you're referencing 2 separate processes?

We got them done at a store in the mall
Most likely it was an inkjet transfer, but it's hard to say for sure.

Since DTG requires no minimum order, it may be working getting one sample made of from people that do that type of printing to see if the quality of their specific printing will meet your needs.

Just as not all screen printers create the same quality of work, not all DTG or digital printers will create the same quality of work.

We are doing Alternative Apparel shirts - the nicest we could find since we are selling to boutiques (we hope). Not just one logo in the middle of the chest, you know?
Yes, Alternative Apparel carries some nice t-shirts.

just keep hearing Screen Printing is the best way to do a professional shirt.
Yes, screen printing is usually the "retail" standard for the t-shirts you see in stores. But other printing methods can sometimes compare.

I have selected one Orlando printer to begin working on our tshirt designs. The problem is that they can only handle a small design on the front of the shirt.

The image at the top of the shirt is going to be 10x6 (approximately) and the bottom is 8x8 (appx).
Most printers can do a 10x6 image and an 8x8 image. What did your printer say exactly when you asked about your print job? Maybe it was a simple miscommunication.

You can also call around to other screen printers in your area by looking through the phone book and asking them about their capabilities.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Since DTG requires no minimum order, it may be working getting one sample made of from people that do that type of printing to see if the quality of their specific printing will meet your needs.

Just as not all screen printers create the same quality of work, not all DTG or digital printers will create the same quality of work.

Yes, screen printing is usually the "retail" standard for the t-shirts you see in stores. But other printing methods can sometimes compare.

Most printers can do a 10x6 image and an 8x8 image. What did your printer say exactly when you asked about your print job? Maybe it was a simple miscommunication.

You can also call around to other screen printers in your area by looking through the phone book and asking them about their capabilities.
2 processes meaning screen print AND DTG print on the same shirt.

You are right though, if there is no minimum, it might be very worth it to try!!! Part of our issue is that we have hand drawn images that our artist (who draws tattoo style art) does and we scan, then it has to translate to a shirt. A couple of the images have ended up looking very flat and unimpressive once they get on the shirt. It's frustrating.

We love the hand drawn original art...but a graphic design created piece would transfer easier. Just hope people are ready for this kind of art. WE think it is original and new, hope others agree!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Oh we did go through this over and over w/ our printer. He just doesn't feel comfortable doing the screen print twice on one shirt...

So we have been looking through the phone book and googling silk screening and screen printing. You'd be surprised how many printers just do basic tshirts and nothing else. If the design bleeds to the collar or to the bottom hemline, people say they can't do it.

???

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
If the design bleeds to the collar or to the bottom hemline, people say they can't do it.
Yes, this is something that many screen printers do tend to stay away from because the results are not consistent. Some customers understand that, but other customers don't understand and it causes more trouble than its worth.

2 processes meaning screen print AND DTG print on the same shirt.
I'm not sure, but I don't think this is what sharktees was suggesting (if that's what you were responding to)

Oh we did go through this over and over w/ our printer. He just doesn't feel comfortable doing the screen print twice on one shirt...
If you don't mind going outside Florida, you could check with rawtalentinc.com, forwardprinting.com, monkeyinadryer.com, mammothprintshop.com

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, this is something that many screen printers do tend to stay away from because the results are not consistent. Some customers understand that, but other customers don't understand and it causes more trouble than its worth.

I'm not sure, but I don't think this is what sharktees was suggesting (if that's what you were responding to)

If you don't mind going outside Florida, you could check with rawtalentinc.com, forwardprinting.com, monkeyinadryer.com, mammothprintshop.com
We see shirts like this all the time though? Graphics all over the shirt...all the way to the hem, wrapped around? At shops online, in the mall....who produces these shirts?

I have a quote from ForwardPrinting (really high), I have a quote from rawtalent (better), and monkey in a dryer i have left 3 messages in the last couple months....never got a response. Which was very upsetting b/c i felt an instant connection since our biz is called Dancing Monkeys! I thought that was our density! But nobody ever called me back. Mammoth I have not heard of...

You are such the Tshirt Forum Papa Bear, aren't you! :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
2 different locations,whats the difference if its front and back or 2 on the front.You might want to take the half hour drive to englewood to make sure you don't want DTG as far as your designs go wether its DTG or screenprinting if you put garbage into the computer you get garbage out.Every piece of graphic art starts out as a scetch its what you do after the scan that makes it look good or bad.Feel free to call me or come by to get the real scoop on DTG.
Corey
941-475-8008

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
2 different locations,whats the difference if its front and back or 2 on the front.You might want to take the half hour drive to englewood to make sure you don't want DTG as far as your designs go wether its DTG or screenprinting if you put garbage into the computer you get garbage out.Every piece of graphic art starts out as a scetch its what you do after the scan that makes it look good or bad.Feel free to call me or come by to get the real scoop on DTG.
Corey
941-475-8008
Yes, I think it would be. I'd love to see samples of the DTG process, show you what our existing shirts look like.

could you email me to chat...or i can call you after I bust out of my day job. ;(

[email protected]

Thanks for much for your help!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also, Corey, do you order tshirts? Would we order our Alternative t's from you for printing?

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
We see shirts like this all the time though? Graphics all over the shirt...all the way to the hem, wrapped around? At shops online, in the mall....who produces these shirts?
Some are produced by the 1000's by overseas factories. Some are produced by printers with oversized screens or belt printers.

If you held up 100 of them that go over the seam, you will probably find inconsistencies in the print. But looking at just one, it looks just fine.

If you need an all over printer, there's a list going here: http://www.t-shirtforums.com/screen-printing/t8891.html

Try giving Pony Express a call. When I talked to them, they sounded like they like taking on challenging jobs.

You are such the Tshirt Forum Papa Bear, aren't you!
Just trying to help :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Some are produced by the 1000's by overseas factories. Some are produced by printers with oversized screens or belt printers.

If you held up 100 of them that go over the seam, you will probably find inconsistencies in the print. But looking at just one, it looks just fine.

If you need an all over printer, there's a list going here: http://www.t-shirtforums.com/screen-printing/t8891.html

Try giving Pony Express a call. When I talked to them, they sounded like they like taking on challenging jobs.

Just trying to help :)
Awesome, I will check that thread out!

Well you have responded to me more than once, and do appreciate it very much!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Awesome, I will check that thread out!

Well you have responded to me more than once, and do appreciate it very much!
So I read and visited a few of those ALL OVER printers. Sounds like we are falling into some printing cracks w/ our design.

I am going to contact Corey and one other local printer we found...hopefully we can get this done.

Thanks again for your help!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts