T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here used the Aluminum Platens from Livingston Systems?

http://www.livingstonsystems.com/page8.html

They seem like a good idea if you do your curing on the platens with a flash dryer.

I have done only a few hundred prints and my Plastic laminate (over wood particle board) platens are beginning to show signs of warping. Needless to say, I am not very happy with the company that sold me my press.

-mrtshirtmaker

·
Registered
169 Posts
Aluminum platens are going to warp over time also if you cure on the platen. Obviously they will last much longer but it will still become an issue at some point.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
If you put a fan so it blows on it at the next head it can help. There not meant to cure shirts on. But yes wood or fiberboard heat builds up, Aluminum is good at dissipating heat.

Good Luck, John

·
Registered
69 Posts
I haven't used those but I have used these Action Engineering-Home. I have no complaints about warping with these pallets. Agreed though, I love everything about my press (Antec)except for the pallets it comes with, laminated particle board. They are basically disposable pallets, I don't know why the manufacturers of quality machines would choose to use a substandard quality pallet. It doesn't cost that much more and I would have gladly paid the difference when I purchased the machine new.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a old hix press w/aluminum platens & have never had one warp or had a single problem with it....& I've had the same ones for 18 years & never had to replace one. They sure don't make things like they used too...lol! The only downside is after flashing for a long period of time (2 hours or so) you do need to let them cool down a bit as they can get quite hot. Other than that I HIGHLY recommend them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Recently a friend of mine got a used M&R auto that had this Very hard PVC or plexiglass platens that had the rubber top and a bracket on them. Some of the boards had the rubber burned and the board looked to be without any warp on it. Just wondering what this material is and is it cheaper to get then aluminum?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts