T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted your opinion to an alternate brand that we can use to American Apparel. I've been always using AA's basic Tees style 2001 I'm looking for an alternate brand/ wholeseller thats similar to it.

The major selling point to us is quality but also we're looking at t-shirts with tear away tags. I guess my quetion is 2 folds

1) Whats an alternate brand similar to American Apparel Style 2001

2) Does the brand carry tagless t-shirts and with tear away tag t-shirts can you see the leftover part of the tag?

We haven't really tried other brands other than gildan and aa so it might be worth while for us just to get some samples. I was wondering with tear away tag t-shirts are you left with the remaining tag still in the seem?

· Premium Member
56,238 Posts
1) Whats an alternate brand similar to American Apparel Style 2001
Alstyle 5301 T-Shirt Style 5301

Article1 111A 111A S/S Basic T - Article.1

Next Level Apparel 3600 Next Level Apparel

Royal Apparel RA5051 https://www.royalapparel.net/product.php?oid=53

Alternative Apparel AA05

Gildan Softstyle 64000 - http://gildan.com/distributors/catalog/

Sun Apparel 30500 Sun Apparel

BareApparel Super Soft Crew High End Custom Super Soft Crew

Out of all of them, I still prefer the AA2001 (except for maybe the Next Level Apparel blanks)

I think most of the ones I mentioned above offer tear away tags.

· Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Rodney,

Thank you for the quick reply I know I prefer AA as well but we're just getting prepared for the 'worst' plus we're getting tierd of taking the tags off on AA t-shirts i think the time spent on taking tags off could go to a better use.

We've got accounts set up with most of the companies you listed... but do you know off hand if when the manufacturers mention tear away tags do they mean the whole tag comes off or is it perforated and a portion still stays on the t-shirt?

· Administrator
18,948 Posts
.. but do you know off hand if when the manufacturers mention tear away tags do they mean the whole tag comes off or is it perforated and a portion still stays on the t-shirt?
Most, if not all, will be perforated. But once torn, you can not see the remaining piece-it's underneath the neck tape.

I also like www.jsapparel.net. They have no tag at all on the neck. It's sewn on the side seam.

· Registered
48 Posts
Splat: when you say that JS's tag is sewn into the side seam, is it labled "JS?"

Also, I know Hanes is going tagless, but I have seen that mean the brand name is printed inside the neck of the shirt.

EPacific is tear-away. But I have not used American Apparel so I do not know if the fit is similar to the item you have mentioned.

· Registered
77 Posts
Cool thanks for the feedback guys getting some samples in to try out really excited to try out the tear away tags. As for Alstyle what do you guys think of their quality vs AA?

Have "heard" that AA still superior quality but need to examine samples for myself to determine. Looking forward to additional comments on quality (until my samples arrive):rolleyes:

· Registered
80 Posts
Splat: when you say that JS's tag is sewn into the side seam, is it labled "JS?"
No, it is not. The tag on the side is a generic tag. I have about 2 dozen samples for both men and women from over about 1.5 years. Both working and school full time while starting my t-shirt company has slowed down the process. :)

Although, I've found some variance in the information that is on the side tag, it has always been unbranded.

Mens (essentially the basic tee):
The side tag that is there only lists the material (i.e. 100% cotton), the size, and country of manufacturing.

Womens (basic, but scoop neck - my latest order of samples):
The side tag lists material, size, country of manufacturing, and washing instructions.

So my answer is partial as I've found some variance about which information is on the side tag, but that may be purely because I've ordered samples over a long time period. It may be that they have switched to putting all the information legally needed on the side tag. I hope this is the case and I'll double-check before I make my initial order so I can proper set up my tagless labels. You should just contact them with any questions - my rep has been very responsive to my questions and I haven't even place a full order yet.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.