T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I'm new here!
I've got an image which i created in photoshop (at 72dpi) and i wanted to know if i change the resolution to 300dpi, does this allow me to change the size of the image without any distortion ? or is it best i redraw the image from scratch starting with the document size at 300dpi this time!

grateful for any info!

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you created the image you should just be able to resize it by upping the resolution.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
If you created the image you should just be able to resize it by upping the resolution.
This is totally incorrect. If your image is 4 inches by 4 inches at 72 dpi and you resize the image to 8X8 you resolution will drop in half. If you change the resolution to 300 dpi all your doing is making the file larger in size. Upping the res will not make the design higher quality.

You should always create your art at the actual size for production and at 300dpi. T-Shirt printing art can be done at no less than 200 dpi in order to get a quality reproduction.

This is why most prefer vector art than raster as it is not dependant on resolution.

Im sorry to say but youll really need to Start over.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got the .psd file
When i up the resolution from 72 to 300dpi I can alter then size of the image without any apparent lose of quality i just wasnt sure if there was any actual lose ?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am no photo shop expert but if he created the image originally in photoshop I would think he could resize the image as well. But vector is definitely the way to go.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hello!
If you created your image at 72dpi, when you blow it up to 300dpi it wont' "disort" the actual dimensions (make sure the option called "constrain proportions" is checked), but chances are the image itself will look all blurry and awful.

This is because when you created the original image, the program used 72 pixels per inch to create the image. Now, you are telling it to increase the pixels to 300 per inch, but because it started with such a small number, what it does is that it "fills in the spaces" with similar colored "filler" pixels/info, which make it look all blurry.

This however, is not the same the other way around. If you create something at 300 dpi and then change it to 72 dpi, it wont lose visible quality.

But when you are printing stuff, always work with 300dpi.
72 dpi is web resolution only. Only good for showing jpgs and stuff through computers.

Sadly, the most common cure for this is the 'ol: do it all over again at 300 dpi. And if the design is something that could be possible to do in vectors instead, go that way.

Whats the size of your document right now and to which size will you be blowing it up?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At the moment it's
width: 33.37cm
height: 25.01

and i'd like it to be
width: 40cm
height: 35cm

just so it'll fit across the back of a t-shirt

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ok.
You can go to Image> Image Size> and up the resolution to 300. Then, uncheck the "constrain proportions" button and change the dimensions to 40x35
Then press OK

You'll instantly notice how huge the file becomes and if you look at the lineart/drawing/picture, it will look blurry where it once looked sharp.

Slightly lucky for you, the change of size isnt THAT big, but its pretty affecting nonetheless.

Depending the kind of image you are using (if its complicated or not) I think you will have to :

*redoit at 300

*vectorize (if possible)

Either option, its doing it all over again :\

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you everyone for all your help & info!!
3leches when you say vectorize, how would i go about this in photoshop ? sounds like a good option

·
Registered
106 Posts
Exactly.
Photoshop has some vectorimitating tools, but thats not what will help you here.

You see that pen icon in the tool bar? Well, you can use it on PShop just to get a hang of it, but thats the same tool you will be using when you get to Illustrator or CorelDraw when vectorizing.
Also, if your design has any text/numbers, be sure to have the font(s) you used handy.

Here is a pretty basic vectoring tutorial, it helped me understand some of the terminology of Illustrator back when I started with the program :)
http://www.steeldolphin-forums.com/htmltuts/logo_design.html

Hope it helps!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been playing around in Pshop.
HOw do you import a pic as a new layer?
Secondly How do you place one layer over another?

·
Registered
106 Posts
To put a pic into a new layer:

*Open up the file in PSHop
(make sure its in RGB mode. In Image>Mode>RGB)

*Select the whole image (or whatever you want put into another layer)
T select it: Selection> Select All...or just press Ctrl+A

*Copy (Ctrl+C)

*Go to your Layers Window (if you cant see it, go to: Window>Layers) and press the "new layer" button (it has like a little paper sheet icon)

*Select (click) that new layer you just made and PASTE (Ctrl+V)

*now you can take the original image (named "Background) and DELETE IT. (To delete layers, just pick it and drag it to the Trash Can icon...remember..ALL of this picking and dragging is done inside the Layers Window, not on the actual document ;) )

Thats it.
If you want the easy version:

*Ctrl+A
*Crtl+C
*Ctrl+V

ya :)

In order to place one layer above another, just pick that layer on your Layer Window, and drag it on top/bottom/whatever!
You cant put a Layer below a Background BTW, so you'll have to Copy+Paste that BG and convert it into a Layer if you wanna do that (the steps we just went over)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts