T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Administrator
18,948 Posts
There any printers that are use all pigment ink, preferably a tank printer that's is not 1000$$? Preferably not over 300.
1. Buy any ecotank for $300 or less.

2. Keep the black ink which is pigment. Sell or give away the cyan, magenta and yellow which is a dye ink.

3. Buy Epson T542 ink bottles ($22 each) for cyan, magenta and yellow, which is pigment ink and use them, along with the black, in your printer instead. (Alternatively you can also buy pigment ink bottles from Ink Owl, Cosmos, and other 3rd party suppliers).

4. You're done!

· Registered
4,597 Posts
There any printers that are use all pigment ink, preferably a tank printer that's is not 1000$$? Preferably not over 300.
What @splathead has suggested is a good and easy option.
These are the bulk version of the DURABrite inks, and work well.
If you start printing a lot, you can also switch to 1L bottles of third party inks and pay 1/4 of the price.
Here is one example.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

2. Keep the black ink which is pigment. Sell or give away the cyan, magenta and yellow which is a dye ink.

3. Buy Epson T542 ink bottles ($22 each) for cyan, magenta and yellow, which is pigment ink and use them, along with the black, in your printer instead. (Alternatively you can also buy pigment ink bottles from Ink Owl, Cosmos, and other 3rd party suppliers).

4. You're done!
I put pigment Pacitek ink from amazon in my epson 2803 and it clogged after 7 or 8 prints. Worried about trying that again. It was a nightmare even the bought solution to clear it and it didn't work still had missing segments.

· Registered
4,597 Posts
I put pigment Pacitek ink from amazon in my epson 2803 and it clogged after 7 or 8 prints.
a) I always recommend flushing before refilling with another brand of ink.
b) When buying from amazon always try buying from a reputable seller. Fakes of every product you can imagine are sold on Amazon by random sellers.
c) expired inks can only be used if filtered.

De-ionized water works well for flushing, but only if you are doing to refill immediately.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What @splathead has suggested is a good and easy option.
These are the bulk version of the DURABrite inks, and work well.
If you start printing a lot, you can also switch to 1L bottles of third party inks and pay 1/4 of the price.
Here is one example.
Hmm I don't see the et-2800/03 on that ink Owl list. Maybe that's why it clogged the black printhead.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

4. You're done!
What about the canon tank printers or brother inkvestment (the brothers come with all pigment) any opinion on those?

· Registered
4,597 Posts
Hmm I don't see the et-2800/03 on that ink Owl list. Maybe that's why it clogged the black printhead.
No.
All these printers use pretty much the same printhead modules (nozzle chips).
The more expensive ones have more modules, so they can print faster.
Here is an example of cheap vs expensive. The difference is obvious, but the same ink can be used.
Musical instrument accessory Bumper Auto part Electric blue Gas
Camera accessory Finger Art Gas Circuit component

What about the canon tank printers or brother inkvestment (the brothers come with all pigment) any opinion on those?
It depends on what you want to print. Not all pigment inks are the same.
The pigment inks of the cheap HP and Canon printer models don't work well for t-shirts.
Here is a thread about fading issues with HP pigment inks.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No.
All these printers use pretty much the same printhead modules (nozzle chips).
The more expensive ones have more modules, so they can print faster.
Here is an example of cheap vs expensive. The difference is obvious, but the same ink can be used.
View attachment 277316 View attachment 277315

It depends on what you want to print. Not all pigment inks are the same.
The pigment inks of the cheap HP and Canon printer models don't work well for t-shirts.
Here is a thread about fading issues with HP pigment inks.
Hydrographic dipping mainly

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hydrographic dipping mainly
I would use DURABrite ink for that.
If you use ink without binder, the layer of pigment is likely to cause premature flaking of the clear coat, especially when you have large solid color areas.
Is there 3 printers you would recommend best for this not going over 500 with one between 2 to 300 in that list. Thank for the help so far btw

· Registered
4,694 Posts
Is there 3 printers you would recommend best for this not going over 500 with one between 2 to 300 in that list. Thank for the help so far btw
Price is going to depend in part on how large you need to print.

Any Epson can print pigment ink regardless of what came in it. This is especially easy with the EcoTank printers, as there is nothing to stop you from pouring in your choice of ink. The newer WorkForce printers come with Epson pigment ink in carts, but the ink is on the expensive side, and Epson has made it much harder and less practical to use third-party ink/carts with the new WorkForce printers.

I don't know much about hydrodipping, but my guess is that you'd want to use a solvent printer, not water based pigment for that.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Price is going to depend in part on how large you need to print.

Any Epson can print pigment ink regardless of what came in it. This is especially easy with the EcoTank printers, as there is nothing to stop you from pouring in your choice of ink. The newer WorkForce printers come with Epson pigment ink in carts, but the ink is on the expensive side, and Epson has made it much harder and less practical to use third-party ink/carts with the new WorkForce printers.

I don't know much about hydrodipping, but my guess is that you'd want to use a solvent printer, not water based pigment for that.
I was using a et 2800 and dips where just fine but the printer started missing segments on the nozzle check and it was all downhill from there. I had put Pacitek 542 from Amazon in it.

· Registered
4,597 Posts
The EcoTank Pro ET-5170 is $500 and comes with DURABrite inks from stock, and it's twice as fast as the ET-2800
The EcoTank ET-4850 has the same printhead but comes with dye inks, and costs $400.
As far as I know, these are all the decent options for Ecotank printers up to $500.
All others bellow that price will have the same printhead the ET-2800 has.

· Registered
4,713 Posts

4. You're done!
i thought i had read the all pigment ink epson ecotanks have 1.5 picoliter printheads and ink, and the cheaper ecotanks have the older piezo printheads (black pigment and dye cmy) are 3 picoliters

so maybe make sure to buy the durabrite-equivalent bulk pigment inks (like from inkowl or cosmos, etc.), and not the epson oem pigment inks made for the more expensive all pigment ecotanks

· Registered
4,597 Posts
i thought i had read the all pigment ink epson ecotanks have 1.5 picoliter printheads and ink, and the cheaper ecotanks have the older piezo printheads (black pigment and dye cmy) are 3 picoliters
Like I mentioned in my previous post, the ET-4850 has the same printhead as the ET-5170 BUT the former is using the dye based CMY inks.
People do like dye inks because the colors look better, especially for photos.
They don't last of course, but do look better when fresh out of the printer.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Like I mentioned in my previous post, the ET-4850 has the same printhead as the ET-5170 BUT the former is using the dye based CMY inks.
People do like dye inks because the colors look better, especially for photos.
They don't last of course, but do look better when fresh out of the printer.
Looks like I'll prolly get the 2850 as the inkowl inks are compatible. The 2800 isnt. It serves my purposes although that 8550 wide format 13 x 19 looks awesome. Wish they had lower cost wide format options.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

so maybe make sure to buy the durabrite-equivalent bulk pigment inks (like from inkowl or cosmos, etc.), and not the epson oem pigment inks made for the more expensive all pigment ecotanks
Do smaller printheads have a higher rate of getting clogged?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts