T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this T-Shirt forum, but what I need help with is getting a certain sock made. I'm sure some of you have heard of the popular HUF socks, and the "all over" style of print is what I'm looking for someone to do. Every company I've contacted about this is telling me it can't be done.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Funny. I just had a customer come in with some socks she had purchased in Louisiana. She was all hyped about it and wanted to know it I could do it.

The ones she had were done with sublimation transfers and applied with a heat press. They were printed and applied onsite.

I hate when someone says definitively that something can't be done or doesn't exist just because they haven't seen it :mad:.

If you've got a heat press, you can have the transfers made and apply them yourself. The blank socks are white polyester and can be purchased.

Or search "Sock Sublimation" and you'll probably find someone who does it.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I have a pair of the huf socks and they are not heat pressed or sublimated. The material to make the socks are fabricated that way and socks are cut from the material. You can make something similar with several of the different printing methods though.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have a pair of the huf socks and they are not heat pressed or sublimated. The material to make the socks are fabricated that way and socks are cut from the material. You can make something similar with several of the different printing methods though.
I suspect this is probably the way most things like this are done, though I do wonder if the pattern has registered alignment just how precise the machine and pattern size/setup have to be in order to make them all the same. I also agree it's annoying when you bring something in and are immediately told "that can't be done". I feel like asking "Well then where did this come from? Wonka's factory?" I always try to tell the customer "I can't do it because it's too specialized a process, but I'll see if I can find a way to get it done" or even find someone else who can do it (a lot of people outsource after all!). It always ticked me off when I worked regular retail that you couldn't do this if you didn't stock a product or a product remotely similar to it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Dave, they look good.

Did you have any issues with "voids" in the design when you pressed the socks (like the ones you see on poorly done dye-sub shirts)?

Also, how does the final design look when the sock is being stretched (i.e. when it's actually on your foot and pulled up you calf)? Is the design solid throughout, or are there white areas showing (due to the elastic nature of the product itself)? I'm just curious how well the integrity of the "design/pattern" holds up when the elastic is stretched (not the dye itself, as I know the dye-sub process bonds the ink/gas with the poly fiber, but the integrity or look of the actual design). Again, they look nice in their "resting" state, but do they look just as nice when you put them on? I'd love to see a few photos if you have time.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Dave, they look good.

Did you have any issues with "voids" in the design when you pressed the socks (like the ones you see on poorly done dye-sub shirts)?

Also, how does the final design look when the sock is being stretched (i.e. when it's actually on your foot and pulled up you calf)? Is the design solid throughout, or are there white areas showing (due to the elastic nature of the product itself)? I'm just curious how well the integrity of the "design/pattern" holds up when the elastic is stretched (not the dye itself, as I know the dye-sub process bonds the ink/gas with the poly fiber, but the integrity or look of the actual design). Again, they look nice in their "resting" state, but do they look just as nice when you put them on? I'd love to see a few photos if you have time.
John The ribs do show white but not to bad.. I think we can design around the voids like we do with shirts.
The thin socks we print come out perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
@skdave Hi there,

I came across this thread as I am currently looking to start my own socks business. The idea I have is exactly like the socks you have shown using the sublimation technique. I have a few designs which I have produced myself and I will also be looking to source some other designs. Would you be willing to offer your printing services if I was to provide you with the designs, and if so do you have an email I could contact you through for more detail?

Kind Regards,

Calum

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.