T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new GCC expert ii 24 lx that seems to be working well except for one issue I have with it;

It tends to start at about 1/2-3/4 of an inch in on the right side of the material (facing the cutter), and will go over about the same distance on the left side of the material (and then report an error). I have the software setup as 12 inch material, the cutter seems to know that it's 12 inches wide, but it's margin seems to be off?

I've changed the placement of the pinch rollers and had the machine re-align, etc. but to no avail.

I'm sure it's something simple, but I have no idea how to adjust it.

Ideas?
Thanks!

· Registered
1,649 Posts
Not sure how the Expert II works but the Expert 24 LX will only cut from inside edge to inside edge of the outer rollers. You lose at least 1" of the vinyl width to the outer rollers.

When you say you have the software setup as 12" do you mean the "Working Area"in Great Cut? Or maybe the material notes on the Output screen?

If so, that makes no difference as far as I can tell. I frequently cut items shown as completely outside of the work area displayed in Great Cut. I believe it's more to let you arrange objects for the best use of your material.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm using a roll.

I have the software (Sure Cut a Lot on Mac OS X) setup for 12". I tried using GreatCut and DirectCut but neither were working for me (technical issues based on OS/hardware).

Anyhow, I wasn't aware that you lose the inside edges of the outside rollers. That would account for the "origin" side of the cutter not wanting to move over more. It's just strange that in the software, if I arrange something on the 0,0 origin it will cut it about half an inch inside the vinyl but then if you set something to 12 inches in width, it will over cut the vinyl by about the same amount (this is what led me to believe it was originally not aligning properly). Who knows, maybe it's the software...although I don't think so because I just looked at a "test cut" from the cutter and it started it at the same point inside the vinyl.

· Registered
1,649 Posts
I generally use vinyl width - 1 1/2" as a guide for the maximum width I can cut. For example on a 12" square the max width you can cut is @ 10 1/2" side to side if you have the rollers on the outside edges. You also lose about the same in length.

You can go a little wider but if the vinyl does not feed straight it will end up badly.....

You can set the origin point manually (width wise) using the control panel on the cutter if you want to start the cut in further from the right edge.

I've only used Great Cut with it so can't vouch for how another software package would work.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I generally use vinyl width - 1 1/2" as a guide for the maximum width I can cut. For example on a 12" square the max width you can cut is @ 10 1/2" side to side if you have the rollers on the outside edges. You also lose about the same in length.

You can go a little wider but if the vinyl does not feed straight it will end up badly.....

You can set the origin point manually (width wise) using the control panel on the cutter if you want to start the cut in further from the right edge.

I've only used Great Cut with it so can't vouch for how another software package would work.
Ok thanks a lot! I suppose it makes sense for the "back-rolling" the cutter does...so it doesn't mess up any cuts that you've done around the rollers. I can manually setup a width of 10 1/2" (or whatever I want) in the software and will do this going forward.

Thanks again for the help!

· Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I'm using a roll.

I have the software (Sure Cut a Lot on Mac OS X) setup for 12". I tried using GreatCut and DirectCut but neither were working for me (technical issues based on OS/hardware).

Anyhow, I wasn't aware that you lose the inside edges of the outside rollers. That would account for the "origin" side of the cutter not wanting to move over more. It's just strange that in the software, if I arrange something on the 0,0 origin it will cut it about half an inch inside the vinyl but then if you set something to 12 inches in width, it will over cut the vinyl by about the same amount (this is what led me to believe it was originally not aligning properly). Who knows, maybe it's the software...although I don't think so because I just looked at a "test cut" from the cutter and it started it at the same point inside the vinyl.
Ok thanks a lot! I suppose it makes sense for the "back-rolling" the cutter does...so it doesn't mess up any cuts that you've done around the rollers. I can manually setup a width of 10 1/2" (or whatever I want) in the software and will do this going forward.

Thanks again for the help!
I'm not sure if any of you can help me j have just purchased the Expert II 24LX and I'm looking for the best place to get my vinal any help would be appreciated I'm very new to all this

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.