T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Fellow T-Shirt Forum members,

I might have a problem that has a simple solution, but what I'm aiming at is the transition of a complicated AI cs3 file, which has been saved as a pdf, eps, or svg file, into a corel draw 14 file or an eps, svg, or pdf acceptable accessible format. Naturally, a AI cs3 file can't be saved as a cdr file. And I've tried all the other formats (svg,eps, ai, and pdf) but what seems to happen is that my more complicated vector files are read wrong when being opened by corel draw. The background is black with a radial grey to black gradient in the middle, yet what seems to come up is a weird grey mask and the vector objects are more complicated and the correct colors are lost.

The main point is that my AI vector file can't be saved as another file type and opened in Corel Draw.

So, is their any suggestions of special settings and stuff like that or should I just buy Corel Draw...?

Thank you

· Registered
18 Posts
I sometimes have similar issues with digitizing embroidery files, I use corel draw wings, it may be similar issues and export to emf.

I think the issue is the way corel reads compound paths. One workaround that works for me is to rasterize the file, make it a very high resolution jpeg and retrace it in corel.

Another solution is to break the file down into segments and export it in pieces, then put the pieces together in illustrator or corel.

I hope that helps, good luck

· Registered
600 Posts
Corel X4 should open CS3 AI files.
Firstly is your X4 up to date - SP2 installed? If yes then

Have you tried to open the file AI in X4 as in Open --> Filename.ai
Make sure the AI file is saved with "use compression" unchecked in the save options.

I know some gradient effects will not import properly.
You could try converting everything to curves and export as an eps file.
Save your background gradient as a bitmap (providing you don't want to make changes in Corel)then export whole file as eps or pdf. This may allow you to preserve the background gradient.

I will post some other options, after I have had a look on the work computer (It has CorelGraphics Suite X3, X4, X5 & Adobe Design Premium CS4 installed).

I am on my laptop that is Win7 & CorelGS X5 only.

Reactions: offroadstyles

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought Corel Draw and fixed everything by opening my PDF file in Corel and painstakingly re-coloring what Corel messed up in the transition and I don't want to rasterize anything. Vector is better for adaptability purposes. Thank you for all of your help.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: file transition

No updates. Latest versions. My more complicated AI image still opened weird when I even saved it in v8 format. Thanks for your help, but I basically had to buy Corel Draw, open the file, and painstakingly fix all my vector color problems...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.