T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received this e-mail today:
In the aftermath of Hurricane Ike, Greater Houston C.O.P.S. has been attempting to insure that our survivors are all safe and have the needs to get by until electricity is turned back on or insurance pays out.
What we were not prepared for were the needs of our first responders, our law enforcement agencies that have been affected. We have all seen first hand on the news or in our own backyards the devastation that this monster storm has given all along the Gulf Coast and across the Greater Houston area throughout our 38 counties. What we are not seeing are the needs of those of the first responders.
We have been in contact with many of the officers in the affected agencies that have lost everything. They are not asking for money or food. They are in need of socks, underwear and possibly a few changes of clothing to wear when off duty. The agency will replace their duty uniforms but they do not have any "normal" clothing left.
How can you assist these officers? Go to your local Wal-Mart or Target and purchase a gift card within the next couple of days and mail it to the Greater Houston PO Box listed below. If you would make sure the amount of the gift card is on the card so the officer will know how much he or she will be able to spend that would be helpful. We would like to get the cards by the 30th for complete distribution.
Thank you for your assistance.
Cathy J Hill
President, G.H.C.O.P.S.
P O Box 73362 * Houston, TX 77273
281.300.4131 * 832.257.1499

Who can I call to get them some technical gear donations and good socks, t-shirts?
Thanks
[email protected]

·
Registered
387 Posts
the best thing to do is contact the Red Cross . . I am sure that they can help you with your questions in someway or another . . .

I would not respond to that email, until I knew 100% it was in the up and up

Diane
;o}

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Thanks Diane but the requests have been vetted through several agencies.
Given that we don't know you, Diane wasn't just warning you to be careful of scams.

A random forum post is no more vetted to us than a random e-mail arriving in our inboxes.

That said, googling the PO Box, it looks legitimate.

But since t-shirt businesses are the target of many, many scams we're a naturally suspicious bunch.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Yeah, I admit, that was my first concern as well by the time I read to the bottom. Though you say it is legit (and that is good news) it could have been the perfect scam to pull at heart strings of people in the time of crisis.

Since you say they are legit, moving on.. with regards to the good socks, tee shirts, etc.. why not help the way they asked for folks to help, with the cards to Walmart and Target? They are probably doing the clothes part that way so that the folks can buy the items that fit them and are comfortable to them - regarding socks, undergarments, etc. I know I have to have certain socks or my feet will get sore spot, and when working long hours, it's just nice to have those socks you prefer. Just a thought/suggestion mind you. :)

Good luck on your mission, it is a nice thing you are doing and I wish you and your area the best of luck with the recovery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got off the phone with the Detective in charge and he informed me that they have received new BDU's, boots, t-shirts, belts, and duty gear from several manufacturers. 5.11 Tactical was a big contributor. Now they need those gift cards. I'm working through my company, Ameriprise, to get American Express Gift cards and then I'll get each officers name from the Detective. I'll then deliver the cards with some Ameriprise t-shirts and towels personally that way I get to look each officer in the eye when I had them a care package and know exactly where its going. Your right. Having worked for a PD I know it could be a scam thats why I want to do something directly. Hey I get the benefit of seeing the smile on their faces?

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
My wife was sent to New Orleans after Katrina and so many donations poured in and most of them never reached the people who needed them. They either ended up being dumped or given away to anyone who happened to be around. It's almost always better to donate money to the Red Cross.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Yeah, Joe, I hear you... and you'll have their faces to remember, too. Glad it's all working out, and I didn't realize this was your first post, welcome to the forum. All the best...

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Since you say they are legit, moving on..
Just to clarify, I said they look legit. I'd encourage anyone feeling generous to make their own mind up.

(I don't want to impugn a potential philanthropist doing nothing wrong, but I also wouldn't want anyone to think I'd researched the organisation and given my imprimatur)

Like you said, better to discuss the issue at hand than to get sidetracked - people can and should make up their own minds. I just felt that was important to clarify.

Regardless, good luck to all of those seeking to do some good in the world.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Just to clarify, I said they look legit. I'd encourage anyone feeling generous to make their own mind up.

(I don't want to impugn a potential philanthropist doing nothing wrong, but I also wouldn't want anyone to think I'd researched the organisation and given my imprimatur)

Like you said, better to discuss the issue at hand than to get sidetracked - people can and should make up their own minds. I just felt that was important to clarify.

Regardless, good luck to all of those seeking to do some good in the world.
Oh, sorry, Solmu, I was addressing Joe. In his post to Diane, he said he checked it out, and since everyone had really addressed that already, I moved on over it, after just mentioning I was struck with the same question of validity.

I wish them good luck, too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.