T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hellow everyone, thanks to the community for creating this great resource. I am really considering starting up a custom shirt business, mostly to explore my underused creative side, but also to have a side business. I was thinking of the following setup:

EPSON Stylus Photo 1400
TRANSPRO 15X15
Continuious Ink System

I think this will run about 650.00. I am really doing this for a hobby, but like I said I want the ability to do custom jobs for bars, softball teams, events, etc. Am I being to cheap in this setup? Is this setup appropriate for my immediate goals? Thanks again all for any help. I actually was looking at a sunIE press, but was convinced to go with the press from Proworld after reading a bunch in this forum. I also am really interested in vinyl plotters in the future.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I dont think team gear or bar tees produced with inkjet transfers are going to work. You should be looking at custom plastisol transfers, screen printing etc for that market. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ive done the heat pressing with a inkjet transfers. It's not a good choice. It leaves a papery feel since you literally have to cut out your design on the paper. definitely go with custom plastisol transfers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive done the heat pressing with a inkjet transfers. It's not a good choice. It leaves a papery feel since you literally have to cut out your design on the paper. definitely go with custom plastisol transfers.
Are plastisol transfers cost effective? I can see using them for a run of 20-30 identical shirts, but what if i have a series of 2 or 3 shirts for one design, 2 or 3 for another, etc? My primary design is about 5 x 5 but has different text per design. thanks alot for replying.

Dan

·
Registered
278 Posts
You can do what's called "ganging" (having multiple designs on one transfer sheet). So if you 2 designs that are 5x5, but are different; you could use DowlingGraphics.com to gang those images onto a 13x23 transfer. which would be like 2 images across and 4 down. For a total of 8 images per sheet. or more if you go with a larger sized transfer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can do what's called "ganging" (having multiple designs on one transfer sheet). So if you 2 designs that are 5x5, but are different; you could use DowlingGraphics.com to gang those images onto a 13x23 transfer. which would be like 2 images across and 4 down. For a total of 8 images per sheet. or more if you go with a larger sized transfer.
Ok, I was hoping that might be a possibility. Thanks alot for the advice! So what is an inkjet thermal transfer good for if everyone pushes the outsource heat transfer?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Ok, I was hoping that might be a possibility. Thanks alot for the advice! So what is an inkjet thermal transfer good for if everyone pushes the outsource heat transfer?
You can get some nice results from inkjet transfers using jetpro soft stretch transfer paper. There is hardly any feel. Plastisol transfer so have feel to them. The JPSS are good for light colored shirts. There are transfer papers out there for dark colored shirts but they are costly and you will need a cutter. I find the plastisol transfers to be rather pricey too and you have to get a minimum quantity.

You will need a decent sized press to do the larger prints. So keep that in mind.

·
Registered
278 Posts
DowlingGraphics spot-color hot-split transfers have a very soft-hand (almost no feel). They're also pretty opaque, even without a white underbase. And DowlingGraphics minimum order is 25. 1 color job is only $1.42 for a 10 x 11.5. Or $1.80 for a 10 x 17. Or $2.51 for a 13 x 23

·
Registered
299 Posts
I would look at the Epson workforce 1100 it's 13" wide and only 150.00. I have both 1100 & 1400 do most of my work with the 1100

1 - 11 of 11 Posts