T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm in Eastern Canada where shipping is expensive and I found a like new Geo knight DC16 - 14 x 16 swing away which retails for 1525 USD and is selling for about $700.00

Its the DC digital swing away. I'm reading on this forum about consistent heat temps etc and wonder if this is a good all around unit. I need high quality prints but I cannot afford the higher end presses at this time

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you

· Registered
4,694 Posts
A used USA made press is the "affordable" way to get dependability. Though it does depend a bit on how hard the thing has been used. The good news is that GK has decent pricing and availability of parts. So if that thing isn't beat to heck, sounds like a good opportunity. Lucky, you, I couldn't find any used USA presses local when I've needed a press.

I have their 16x14 clamshell. No complaints.

Depending on what you are doing, swing away is supposed to have some advantages. Didn't want one myself due to the extra space needed for the "swing" motion.

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This one shows NO wear. We live in a small province and he is in a small community and hence unlikely too many people would know he is selling it Or be able to drive to see the unit. So, I'm thankful and appreciate your input. He wants $700 cad so about $500 USD and its like new.

· Administrator
18,945 Posts
You can't go wrong with a Knight. Just make sure it is working correctly when you go to pick it up. plug it up, heat it up to a high temperature (350 to 400F) bring an infrared temperature gun ($20 at a big box hardware store) and test each corner of the upper platen plus the center area for temperature accuracy. +/- 10 degrees is ok.

· Registered
4,702 Posts
nova scotia?
i'm on the west coast island, we thought about moving out your way (but those east coast islands went absolutely 'coo-coo for cocoa puffs' tyrannical with the corona)

i see it is the combo, you can get different attachments for it (like a cap or mug attachment)
$700 is a good deal

not only are the geo knight's great presses, the parts are cheap and available

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can't go wrong with a Knight. Just make sure it is working correctly when you go to pick it up. plug it up, heat it up to a high temperature (350 to 400F) bring an infrared temperature gun ($20 at a big box hardware store) and test each corner of the upper platen plus the center area for temperature accuracy. +/- 10 degrees is ok.
Excellent - thank you very much for the tip on the heat gun - seems like a very wise investment for any heat press investment

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I'm in Eastern Canada where shipping is expensive and I found a like new Geo knight DC16 - 14 x 16 swing away which retails for 1525 USD and is selling for about $700.00

Its the DC digital swing away. I'm reading on this forum about consistent heat temps etc and wonder if this is a good all around unit. I need high quality prints but I cannot afford the higher end presses at this time

I had a Hot tronic and lot's of problems. Got a G Knight 16 x 20" 5+ years ago LOVE it. Grab it.
Also take a dollar bill and stick an inch or 3 in a corner of the platen, add pressure, pull it out slowly. See4 if the other 3 corners have the same resistance.

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a Hot tronic and lot's of problems. Got a G Knight 16 x 20" 5+ years ago LOVE it. Grab it.
Also take a dollar bill and stick an inch or 3 in a corner of the platen, add pressure, pull it out slowly. See4 if the other 3 corners have the same resistance.
if it pulls out I suppose the pressure is off. Is this a big issue or an easy fix? Thanks

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The point is to check that the pressure is uniform. If you tighten the press to the point that you can't pull out the paper, then you aren't testing anything! :p
Thanks Noxid. Light pressure or medium? I would think this test wouldn't work unless I had a piece of paper that reached to the middle as well as just corners....

· Registered
4,702 Posts
just enough pressure so the bill needs a tug to get out
the middle is not critical as the bottom pad is meant to depress with the pressure (but the sides can be finicky on cheaper presses)

also, don't expect to accurate temps with a laser gun (princess auto should have them cheap) as the metal will reflect (called emissivity, check here for more info and adjustment factors)
you can get precision across the platen though, so test multiple areas for the same temp
if you want accuracy bring high-temp paper strips (furnace companies will have them)

but do a high pressure test as well, it should take some decent strength to close (esp. if you plan on jpss, it needs heavy-heavy pressure)
Font Red Circle Design Symbol

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just enough pressure so the bill needs a tug to get out
the middle is not critical as the bottom pad is meant to depress with the pressure (but the sides can be finicky on cheaper presses)

also, don't expect to accurate temps with a laser gun (princess auto should have them cheap) as the metal will reflect (called emissivity, check here for more info and adjustment factors)
you can get precision across the platen though, so test multiple areas for the same temp
if you want accuracy bring high-temp paper strips (furnace companies will have them)

but do a high pressure test as well, it should take some decent strength to close (esp. if you plan on jpss, it needs heavy-heavy pressure)
View attachment 277202
Thank you Brian, I live in a small town so I may have to order temp strips online or get them in the city. However, a temp gun should check for precision but it sounds like without temp strips, I will never know if my geo Knight is giving off an accurate reading. Is there different types of temperature strips or will any furnace company know what I mean?

· Registered
4,702 Posts
Thank you Brian, I live in a small town so I may have to order temp strips online or get them in the city. However, a temp gun should check for precision but it sounds like without temp strips, I will never know if my geo Knight is giving off an accurate reading. Is there different types of temperature strips or will any furnace company know what I mean?
like splathead said, you should still be in the +or- 10 degree range with the gun (don't be shocked if it is a little higher misread)

say you bring your gun, test in 5-6 places on the platen at a temp of 275, 325 and 400
if it is pretty close and precise, you are good to go
the paper strips can be used later so you have a baseline for any decoration method

geoknights are very well built, you'll know instantly if buddy-boy abused it when you go look at it

· Registered
5 Posts

I have had a Geo Knight DK20A for 7 years and it is a workhorse. No issues with the heating element (knock on wood) and I only have had to change the circuit board after 6 years, which was fairly easy. They have very good customer service. I hope that helps.

· Registered
6 Posts
I have a geo knight swing away press and haven’t had any issues with it. It seems to heat consistently and I use it for vinyl, spangles and sublimation. It has the different pressure settings which took me a bit to get used to but works great.

· Registered
1,964 Posts
I found a DK20 swing away on market place, it's 6 years old, and is in pristine condition, we paid $475.00. True story. They are out there, if you wait and look long enough. I also bought a Stahls Hotronix the same way. for $500.00 about 8 years ago, it was about 4 years old when I got it. it too was in pristine condition. Keep looking.

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I found a DK20 swing away on market place, it's 6 years old, and is in pristine condition, we paid $475.00. True story. They are out there, if you wait and look long enough. I also bought a Stahls Hotronix the same way. for $500.00 about 8 years ago, it was about 4 years old when I got it. it too was in pristine condition. Keep looking.
Thanks all! This is $700 CAD which equals $515 USD and I am sure I can get him down to 400 to 450 USD and it is BRAND NEW! The advantage is that he's in a small town in a small province in the corner of Canada...so no demand. I'm fortunate

· Administrator
18,945 Posts
Thanks all! This is $700 CAD which equals $515 USD and I am sure I can get him down to 400 to 450 USD and it is BRAND NEW! The advantage is that he's in a small town in a small province in the corner of Canada...so no demand. I'm fortunate
Yeah, well you better hurry. You been dillydallying on this for 2 weeks. If you found it, others will too.

Now, what city in Canada did you say that was? 🤣

1 - 20 of 28 Posts