T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Wanted to grab some advice, apologies if this is the wrong section but I have more than one question for this and i am unsure where it should go.

I am looking to buy a wide format printer (42" - 60")
And would like print directly onto White Vinly for Tshirts,

So printing an image onto vinyl, and using a cutter to remove the image.

Is there a specific type of ink that is best for this?
I was thinking of using Sublimination ink....

But the point of using this printer was for duel purpose, I'd also still like the ability to print large banners/posters, would sublimination ink work well for this??

Which ink is recommended for each process?

Kind regards,
Lee Knowles

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
You will note be able to mix sublimation with other types of printing. you also don't need to cut out images with sublimation.

Any printer that you get is going to have solvent ink that you can use for banners posters and other types of printing including shirts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will be able to mix sublimation with other types of printing. you also don't need to cut out images with sublimation.

Any printer that you get is going to have solvent ink that you can use for banners posters and other types of printing including shirts
Let me make sure I am understanding correctly,
What I'd like to do, Is print an image directly onto white T-shirt vinyl, then I'd like to use my vinyl cutter to contour cut the printed image out, Then heat press directly on a t-shirt.

I'd like an ink that won't wash out, and will stay on the vinyl, so pretty much like a heat transfer but onto white vinyl instead of transfer paper, then heat press onto a T-shirt!

I've read on here from posts a long time ago that solvent ink (atleast at the time anyway) was the only way to get a wide format inkjet printer to print directly onto vinyl and be washproof etc, is that still the case? or is there a specific vinyl/ink that suits this method well?

Kind regards,
Lee

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
Let me make sure I am understanding correctly,
What I'd like to do, Is print an image directly onto white T-shirt vinyl, then I'd like to use my vinyl cutter to contour cut the printed image out, Then heat press directly on a t-shirt.

I'd like an ink that won't wash out, and will stay on the vinyl, so pretty much like a heat transfer but onto white vinyl instead of transfer paper, then heat press onto a T-shirt!

I've read on here from posts a long time ago that solvent ink (atleast at the time anyway) was the only way to get a wide format inkjet printer to print directly onto vinyl and be washproof etc, is that still the case? or is there a specific vinyl/ink that suits this method well?

Kind regards,
Lee
First off, I had to correct my post, You will NOT be able to mix inks in a single printer.

We have a versacamm and print shirt vinyl all day long. We can also print banners, canvas, posters, clear media. It is a solvent ink printer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First off, I had to correct my post, You will NOT be able to mix inks in a single printer.

We have a versacamm and print shirt vinyl all day long. We can also print banners, canvas, posters, clear media. It is a solvent ink printer.
Thankyou, I appreciate your help,

A further question if I may, Is all eco solvent ink similar/identical?

I've been looking at inks and alot of companies are selling eco solvent inks compatible with different models, would rolans eco solvent ink work in other eco solvent printers???

·
Registered
950 Posts
Roland's ink will work with other Roland printers but not other brands of printers. Many companies offer third party inks for various printer brands. I recommend sticking with factory brand ink but I'm sure others have had success with the third party inks. You can't use a Roland cartridge in an HP printer for instance.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Roland's ink will work with other Roland printers but not other brands of printers. Many companies offer third party inks for various printer brands. I recommend sticking with factory brand ink but I'm sure others have had success with the third party inks. You can't use a Roland cartridge in an HP printer for instance.

Yeah I'd just seen third party brand inks that were Roland compatible so didn't know if they would work in other printers as they were not "official"

Could you advise me on eco solvent ink?
I'm led to believe that Eco solvent ink should be used to print on vinyl, and that although some others have had success with pigment generally it doesn't work, So I'd like to see if the Designjet 800 would take eco solvent ink, I've seen online "designjet 800 compatible eco solvent ink" for sale, but I don't always trust online sources as at the end of the day they want my money and will more than likely tell me what I want to hear if they are abroad!

Does Eco solvent ink need to be heated in the printer as it prints? is this the difference between an eco solvent printer and standard? the thermal printing?
if not would the HP Designjet take Eco Solvent?

Thankyou!

·
Registered
732 Posts
If you are going to spend 10K plus on an eco solvent printer/cutter, buy the Roland ink that comes with it

Maybe a few years down the road when it's out of warranty and you know more, try something else.

To start, just do it right.

Roland BN 20 is probably your cheapest way into the game, but it's not that wide.

Not sure why you need something that wide for shirts. Unless you are confusing all over sublimation printing/cut&sew with vinyl.

No way you want a vinyl print that large on a shirt. It would be awful.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you are going to spend 10K plus on an eco solvent printer/cutter, buy the Roland ink that comes with it

Maybe a few years down the road when it's out of warranty and you know more, try something else.

To start, just do it right.

Roland BN 20 is probably your cheapest way into the game, but it's not that wide.

Not sure why you need something that wide for shirts. Unless you are confusing all over sublimation printing/cut&sew with vinyl.

No way you want a vinyl print that large on a shirt. It would be awful.
thankyou for the reply! I'll look into that model now!

The reason I wanted one so wide, is that I'd also like to be able to create posters etc, I'll be making merchandise for businesses, so If I can create a Tshirt Vinyl print, and possible POS banners etc on one machine it saves alot of hassel! so I'd need something wide to be able to accommodate bigger prints if needed!

Thankyou for the feedback!

·
Registered
732 Posts
thankyou for the reply! I'll look into that model now!

The reason I wanted one so wide, is that I'd also like to be able to create posters etc, I'll be making merchandise for businesses, so If I can create a Tshirt Vinyl print, and possible POS banners etc on one machine it saves alot of hassel! so I'd need something wide to be able to accommodate bigger prints if needed!

Thankyou for the feedback!
When you say merch for businesses what do you mean?

How do you propose to make a poster?

Like a vinyl banner?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When you say merch for businesses what do you mean?

How do you propose to make a poster?

Like a vinyl banner?
The business is actually both markets, I have a very large social media following over various accounts, and will be advertising merchandise such as custom T-shirts, but i'd like to be able to delve into the business markets aswell, possibly producing printed workwear, vinyl banners, Stickers, glossy advertising posters etc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts