T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I was thinking about buying colour pigments and then binder and then mixing it myself as this seems to work out a lot cheaper than buying premixed water based ink.

Just wondered if any one else does this or has tried this, if so could you tell me the pros and cons or just your experience.

I thought I would ask before I went and bought some.

Cheers Rema

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
rema said:
Just wondered if any one else does this or has tried this, if so could you tell me the pros and cons or just your experience.

I do it. I would assume that shops would always do it that way (i.e. I figured pre-mix is mostly for consumers and prosumers).

Pros: Cheaper, often easier to get the colour you want

Cons: Well, if you hate colour mixing...

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
(Ignore this bogus post.)

If you buy inks in bulk (not in cartridges), they're already going to be very reasonably priced. Certainly cheap enough that I never considered mixing my own. That would be one more thing to have to deal with on top of many others. Likely depends on how much you're selling if it's worth it I imagine - saving a few cents per shirt isn't gonna matter much selling 100 shirts, but selling several thousand it starts to add up.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks solmo thats helps,

twinge what do you mean by not cartridges i am talking about water based screen printing ink, i was thinking of mixing inks becuase i am just starting up and trying to save money

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
If you buy inks in bulk (not in cartridges), they're already going to be very reasonably priced.
This thread is in the "screen printing" forum, Twinge :)

twinge what do you mean by not cartridges i am talking about water based screen printing ink,
I think Twinge was talking about inkjet inks for heat transfers (he might have missed that you posted under the Screen Printing section :)) No harm no foul :)

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Rodney said:
This thread is in the "screen printing" forum, Twinge!

I think Twinge was talking about inkjet inks for heat transfers (he might have missed that you posted under the Screen Printing section ) No harm no foul.
Big Failure! I usually pay attention to what subforum posts are in -- apparently, every time except when it actually matters ;O

Sorry about that. 2nd time I've done that recently; *mutters about terminology being too similar*

1 - 6 of 6 Posts