T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a major problem and would really appreciate any advice the forum could offer
We have several thousand dst embroidery files on our computer but with a fairly high turnover of staff we have never had anyone that was able to setup a system for saving them to the computer
The result now is when we go to look for a design very often we can't find it as names for files are not relevant, ie a Red arrows jet logo was saved as Plane !!
Either this or we have several copies of the same design saved.
Many of the files don't even have the colour run saved which is a total nightmare
What system or guidelines do other people use? Would be so grateful as we can't continue with this lack of organisation it is just mayhem
I intend to sit down over the Christmas holidays and start from letter A and sort this out
Thank you for any advice you can offer
Vincent

·
Banned
517 Posts
This is all included in Training of staff. You need to spend time / have a print out that guides them through how to name files.

Example: Invoice Number - File Name.ai (12095-pink-cat.jpg)

Setup a process for them to repeat over and over.

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
First off we use Carbonite for our backups. All files are on one computer that is backed up nightly to Carbonite. All others point to it.

Every file is save either in a folder with the customer name or in a folder for the product. As an example, If I am doing embroidery for Joe's Towing, I have a folder called Joe's Towing and in that folder I have an EMB folder where his embroidery files and instructions in text files are stored. If I do a design for a football team that is generic it is saved in our Sports\Football folder. The customer still has a folder but the instructions indicate where the files are located.

Our more robust customers get multiple sub folders such as embroidery\patches, embroidery\direct on shirts and under those they get a folder for names if they do that, officer positions if they do that.

That is it, a simple taxonomy that makes things easy to find.

Reactions: vmckenna1

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
We keep a hard copy folder for every design with a print out containing the DST name, date, embroidered swatch, thread run colors, general running notes and a reference to the specific floppy or thumb drive that contains the dst. Dst files are given the name of the logo. A different computer folder is created for each year so dsts can be found easily if a revision is needed on a file that was created in a past year. Hard copy folders are filed alphabetically in filing cabinets. We also have a hardcopy general log in notebook which includes the job number, date received, customer's name and logo name. Finally, we have a short list of logo names that can possibly be misfiled because of their name (for example, logos that begin with "The" and a note that says if the file is filed alphabetically under "T" or the first letter of the next word. All logo that begin with a number that isn't spelled out are filed before the A's. All blank orders (no logo) are filed under "B". Sometimes when customers have more then one logo, for example a left chest logo and a sleeve logo, the two designs are filed together. These exceptions are noted in the short file.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.