T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for cover sheets to use on light and dark apparel items that are a. screen printed with plastisol ink, direct to garment printed with water based inks, screen printed heat transfers and vinyl.

My press is a HIX HT-400 15x15 manual heat press.

I understand the cover sheet protects the garment and the upper platen but can also provide a finish to the ink once pressed.

1. Is it correct that kraft paper can be used but will provide a matte finish to the ink once pressed?
2. Will silicone or teflon sheets provide a satin or gloss finish to the print?
3. Has anyone used wax / freezer paper? Gloss side up or down?

What cover sheets are you using and where can I pick them up? Please provide options to this along with the specific details per application or process.

Thanks in advance for your help with this question.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You can purchase PTFE (Polytetrafluoroethylene) Sheets...Teflon sheets from HIX, Specialty Graphic Supply, Heat Transfer Nation, Amazon...the list goes on a on. HIX also offers bottom and top platen protection covers for your press. Not sure what to buy or how to use it...Ask your heat transfer sales representative, he or she should be able answer your "how to" questions. Remember, what works for one transfer type may not work for another. Be specific, make sure you get the answers you need and always test before you begin pressing your order/s Speaking from 45 + years of industry experience. Good Lick and Keep On Pressing!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks gulfsidebill! I had not heard anything so I ordered the teflon sheet and bought some kraft paper, parchment paper, and some thin polyurethane material that is used to make stencils. I am going to test them out and see what happens with my current setup / process.

The best way to learn is jump in and check it out for yourself right. Fail fast and iterate and keep on moving until you solve the problem and understand what is possible. I just need to practice and test until I am comfortable with my process and can repeat it print after print. One day I would like to get a CAP press and an auto press.

·
Registered
256 Posts
From experience, I can tell you not to use kraft paper when you are pressing over a screened design. While it will protect your garment, and design, it will also carry over a ghost image to the next item when you reuse the kraft paper. Oops

·
Registered
15 Posts
We use kirkland signature - parchment paper - you can get on ebay pretty cheap. we print alot of inkjet transfer tshirts - and that has workd really good for us - it gives you a nice matte finish..

I dont like the teflon sheets because they leave a shiny gloss looking finish...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We use kirkland signature - parchment paper - you can get on ebay pretty cheap. we print alot of inkjet transfer tshirts - and that has workd really good for us - it gives you a nice matte finish..

I dont like the teflon sheets because they leave a shiny gloss looking finish...
Thanks - I def. want to be able to produce both looks, but I am with you and prefer a matte finish 90% of the time.

Do you ever have any issues with fibers from the parchment getting into the artwork?

·
Registered
15 Posts
only after using the same sheet for many prints you might see a small piece get stuck on the print but you can peal it of with no damage or mark to the print. Once the sheet star curling up or wrinkling just change to a new one. Great thing about that paper it comes in a roll so you can make your sheets what ever size you need.

·
Registered
448 Posts

I use the parchment paper as well., No issues either and lasts sooo long as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts