T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have their clothing in small retail outlets, what are some common deal arrangements and requirements. For example...

1) What are common pricing structures? How much discount do they expect, how much do they mark them up, etc?
2) Do they buy upfront or do they pay you once they sell?
3) Do you set up any sort of barcode for them or do they do that themselves?

Any other common arrangements I would face or other requirements I might come across when approaching small retail outlets to sell my clothing?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Typically, when you are starting out, I think retail outlets prefer a consignment arrangement where you stock their store, then if anyone buys a shirt, they pay you then and only then. Currently, I sell at various outlets and that is the arrangement I have. I find they are more likely to take the risk with your new product when there is no financial risk to them. If they don't sell, you can simply offer to take them back. Some arrangements I have the retail outlet taking 50% of retail price some take 40%. Depends on how big they are and how good you can negotiate. I also tell them that I will keep a close eye on stock, showing up every one or two weeks to check in. They seem to like it when I tell them we should bring more stock in rather then them having to chase after me.

In terms of barcoding, the bigger stores will typically have their own system. The smaller stores tend to just put a price tag on the shirts.

One thing you want to consider is if shirts go missing due to theft or simple misplacement, you have to determine who will be responsible for them. I think most will tell you that you are responsible for them no matter what. Not the greatest for us, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet to get into these stores. I hope it is not a common event that shirts go missing but something you should think about anyways.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts