T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a vinyl cutting machine thats 14inches but i purchased vinyl thats 15in by 5 yds. I cant fit the vinyl in of course my mistake so my question is can i cut the vinyl and then on my cutter program set the cutter to only use x amount of inches.

I hope i didnt make this sound too confusing.

Thanks ahead of time.

· Registered
3,503 Posts
i'd send it back to the distributor and ask for the correct size.

if you want to cut it into separate sheets it'll turn out alright, you're just losing the money you paid for the 15" roll.

trying to cut the roll itself could work if you have the right tools but i'd be afraid of frayed edges getting caught up in your cutter.

as far as your cutter only cutting a certain size that's be done through your software.

· Registered
3,503 Posts
I've heard someone on here used a mitre saw too.
you mean a powered chop saw correct? not a hand held mitre saw. i would think that would give terrible results. and i would suspect you'd have to have masking tape rolled around the vinyl where the cut would lay within.

just saying i know a little about tools and there's no way a hand saw with all it's movement back and forth will cut a roll of vinyl clean.

· Registered
260 Posts
Yes, a powered mitre saw. I think the only people who use hand mitre saws are weekend warriors and the Amish. I didn't use tape though.

I was going to take a pic of the end I cut but I can't tell which side it was. It's a roll of packing paper I cut down to fit in my son's easel. I thought I kept the end I cut off - it would have come in handy.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Everyone for your responces. I tried cutting with scissors and it worked alright. Im off to the store now to purchase some sheets to see how that works since itl only be the 2nd color ive purchased. Im trying not to jump into everything and take it slow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.